1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

OK, Why wont this fucking car boost down!!!???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Ackbar00, May 16, 2005.

1. Ackbar00

I just put in a .25 BAR spring. Fucking thing STILL saw 17#'s of boost!! This should be impossible. I mean, Hell, I even have a shitty gasket inbetween the crossover and the Wastegate, that should make it boost like shit. Only other thing I can add, when you are driving under normal load, it sounds "flutterly" is the only word I can describe it as. Makes a lot of backfires out of either the downpipe, or the wastegate dump tube. and then all the sudden, it will clear itsself up and the car runs fine. I even disconnected the Profec B and ran it straight from the turbo, to the side port of the tial. Same deal. I mean, WTF is going on?:(

2. turbododge

I always check my wastegates for function when I have them off. A high accuracy air pressure regulator and gauge is best, but an acetylene regulator and gauge from the welding tanks will work in a pinch, and you can stick the torch tip right into a boost hose. Sounds like a stuck gate or a blown diaphram.

3. Ackbar00

Change pressure sources to go direct from the upper intake. Same deal.

Im thinking it is the wastegate too, I just dont know how. It is a Tial. Are these things prone to this or something? I mean hell, I have bearly drivin my car in 3 years because it keeps breaking shit.

4. jdk

I don't think the tial is anymore prone to this than any other WG. Anything with a lot of Carbon flowing through it is prone to bind one day. I'd take the WG off and run a little compressed air at low pressure through it - see how much it takes to open.

5. Bangingears

stupid question, you do have it hooked up the bottom port,correct?

6. ElectroStatic

sell your kit and 306 and build a 408 with no2:supergay:

7. Ackbar00

"I even disconnected the Profec B and ran it straight from the turbo, to the side port of the tial"

8. TurboSN95

take the wastegate off and make sure you are able to open the valve by hand. and check your vacuum lines, make sure you didn't mix them up. also, make sure you didn't mount the wastegate on backwards and you are forcing the valve shut.

9. Ackbar00

Ill make sure I can open it tonight and recheck the Vacumm lines. The valve is point towards the crossover pipe.

10. Andrew

Have you ever seen less boost than that? The wastegate plumbing may not be efficient enough to bypass the required exhaust gas volume.

11. Ackbar00

When it was first together, I ran the small .25 bar spring. I saw 5 rising to 10 then. Later, I moved to the .8bar with a MBC and saw around 12-15. After I blew the headgasket, I threw in the Profec B at the same time. Even if I do have the EBC plumbeed wrong, I should still see low boost when I just have a pressure source, and the side of the wastegate attached. All theories seem to point to the wastegate.

WHat is the pressue testing everybody is talking about? Just stick a air chuck in the side port and see if it opens?

12. Ackbar00

Ok, got it off, I am able to open it by hand. Just staring at it, It looks like it is open just a touch. Anything else???:confused:

13. WaterPog

you should be able to blow .25Bar just with your mouth, give that a try.

or you could do it the right way and hook up a low pressure regulator and guage to it and see where it actually opens.

14. Ackbar00

Is pretty stiff. No way I can push it just by blowing on the side port.

15. WaterPog

I just wanted to see if you'd try honestly ;)

you'll need a compressor and guage to really see if it's working correctly. .25 Bar is what 3.5psi roughly?

16. 2qwk4u

Ackbar00 ...do you

live either over by leston or out on Shull??? I think Ive talked to you before, or somebody that knows you, Ive heard about your car though. And either you or a friend of yours owns pops old Saleen car... Does any of this sound remotely possible.

Bill

good luck...

17. Superskwrl

While you have it off the car, i would remove the spring and see if the valve opens and close's smoothly, if it does not seat (which is the way i read into the above quote) it may be bent, and not able to open enough

my .02

18. OnEwIcKeD SVT

if im not mistaking, thats what the spring can MINIMALLY boost, I dont think there is a MAXIMIMUM on any spring.

So therefor unless you have a manual boost controller, it will simply rise to whatever it can.

19. boostfed

If you have put a lot of leaded race gas through the gate it will have a tendency to stick and creep.

20. 19COBRA93

Close, but no potatoes.

Actually if going by spring alone it will only built that much boost, and I mean if it's a 14 lb spring and there's no boost controller, the wastegate will only open when it sees 14 lbs of boost (assuming everything else is working properly).

Only when you have a boost controller you can raise your boost level above that of the wastegate spring basically by delaying the boost signal to the wastegate.

You were on the right track, I just had to clear it up.