1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

anyone using a turbo timer here ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 68Roadrunner, Feb 4, 2005.

1. 68Roadrunner

i hear almost nothing about them on this site , is anyone out there using them ?

is it better to just save the cash and remember to let it cool down after beating on the car ?

2. 65ShelbyClone

I dont know, I'm one of those paranoid types that would have a hard time leaving my car running for fear that it might not shut off for some reason. I'd probably get one anyway for those days I was running so late I couldnt sit in the car.

3. SlowJoe

Naw just don't boost it before you park it and if you do just let it sit for a minute or two idleling.

4. TurboSN95

I basically take it easy on the car for the 1/2 mile prior to parking it, and let it idle a little. If you beat on it and go to park, let it idle for a minute.

5. SlowJoe

copy catta!

6. hindle

Turbo Timers are engine killers.

Imagine you're going down the street/strip and you look down and see your oil pressure at zero. You shut the key off, but your engine is still going!! By the time you fumble around trying to find the button, hopefully hitting it, you've already wasted at least another 5 seconds or so.

This is only 1 scenario. There are many others...

7. TurboSN95

Doesn't the engine shut off if someone touches the brakes? I remember reading that about turbo timers

8. hindle

You can wire them up several ways. They usually hook up to the parking brake and are only active when the parking brake is applied. If they key is out, turbo timer active, and the parking brake is released, the timer cuts power instantly.

9. MagicBus

Yea, thats happend to me before, lol Without damange, might I add:D Come to find out, a stupid oil galley plug came lose from up front behind the timing chain cover!

10. Renagade306

Yhea just let it idle for a min, Save some bucks.

11. 65ShelbyClone

Didnt have screw-ins, eh? Thats better than having no oil at all. I lost oil pressure on three separate occaions from twisted shafts.....FMS shafts. Hurt the bearings the first time. Previous car, thankfully.

12. stanggod

Turbo cars dont come with turbo timers from the factory. It was an old custom to idle a few minutes before the water cooled chra's came out. Now you really dont have to worry about it. For peace of mind you could let it idle after a hard run.