1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Strength of stock block

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by IH8RICE, Nov 6, 2004.

1. IH8RICE

just wondering if anyone has any experience or knows how much power approximately a standard 351w 9.5 inch deck block can handle. I have a eagle forged and internally balanced rotating assembly "408" with a main girdle. I have run 9.53 with 12.5:1 and a 250 shot, now looking to do a carburated blow thru turbo and need a little info in this department to determine safe turbo size without destruction. and yes I do know I need lower compression just curious as to a maximum reliable power level for this block. any help is greatly appreciated

2. kingyeddi

*search* ;)

3. NeedaTurbo

What year block?

4. IH8RICE

I beleive it is out of early 70's van

5. NeedaTurbo

if it's a 69-72, they've been taken over 1000hp several times. :)

6. IH8RICE

I do know it has a 1 piece rear main seal if that makes a difference, do you know what the later year blocks can handle??? "say a 74"

7. NeedaTurbo

the "rule of thumb" is around 700hp or so or so I've read. How much HP are you wanting to make?

8. IH8RICE

Well Ill say Im shooting for the 1000 HP range with a twin set-up, trying to hit the 8's ultimately. I am just having a real hard time reading compressor maps and finding what turbos to use, twin TO4E's look like they might work. If you know any good sites that formulas for this or how to use a compressor map that would be great too

9. NeedaTurbo

10. kingyeddi

I'm all about pushin the stock shit to the limits!! Be sure to keep us posted:cool:

11. 89lx

if it has a 1 peice rear seal it is early 80's or later. the 69-74 blocks are the strongest as the are a little beefier in the main webbing area. I may be selling a fully prepped 69 block if you are interested.
    thanks Andrew

12. gt40_5.0

yeah i agree with andrew the 69-74 are the strongest :D

13. svooh

Listen; if you're REALLY going to try for 1000 hp; don't waste your time on anything but a R302, A4, Boss 302, or Dart block. One of these will eliminate the block as being a wek link.

As for the twin-setup to do 1000 hp; try my favorite wheel: 62-1 in a pair of T04E housings. We made 534 with a 62-1 on an integra 4-cyl...thus if you have a V8 pushing two 62-1's, it will totally rock. Next you'll have to decide how quick you want them to respond. If you want lightning quick response; try stgIII T3 turbine wheels, maybe clipped some. If you want more top-end rush, out past 6500 RPM, then use the T4 P-trim turbines. Or anything in between. PM me for questions or a quote on these turbos.

-Matt
    Turbo Specialties Inc.

14. 89lx

His engine is based on a 351 not a 302. though an aftermarket block is definately good insurance at that power level.
    Andrew

15. turbostang

I've made almost 700rwhp with all stock bottom end except the pistons. It had two T04E's on it - 63-1's to be exact. The motor never came apart afte 200 + passes. I took it apart because it blew it's first headgasket. Upon inspection it had a few severly bent rods. I guess the stock rods had all they could take. It ran 6.0's pretty regularly too :cool: