1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

more questions from a beginner

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by lotechduster, Aug 31, 2004.

1. lotechduster

from reading over in the ford section I see guys are running carbs,and doing well.Do they work well in a daily driver ?

What is the best way to have a car that has good low speed power a twin or single turbo or is it more of a question of how its set up?

How far can I take this stock block 360, non forged piston too?
    Is there a certain boost range or horsepower level I should stay away from?

Im going to piece a system together from junkyards and classifieds and ebay if necessary .My main goal is to just get one functional and running ,sort of just to get my feet wet as cheaply as possible ,so big power is not a major issue, but Id like it to run good as long as it teaches me something for the next motor after this, so if the stock motor blows its not a big deal.

So assuming I have the exhaust taken care of,and Im going to use a carb is there anything in the junkyards that you experts know of that I can look for,and by the way I know there is a butt load of turbo fords and t-birds in the yards here.What about the turbo trucks/ ford ,chevy,dodge they are filling the yards here like crazy ,its only a matter of time before a diesel gets dropped and ready to be scalped.

I will be reading up in all the books as time goes by,but this wont go together till I have all the imfo and understanding my head will take

So if anyone can sort of build me an ENTRY LEVEL combo on paper that would be great.I dont have to have the best or the fastest parts ,just enough to burn some rubber.
    I would think a single would be the easiest to mount and plumb in my duster.Lots of room on the front area where the battery is and no power steering or AC either.

Besides checking a used turbo is/are ther any parts I would be better off buying new?

any help is greatly appreciated ,I hope Im not asking too many stupid questions so that I get flamed by the experts.

2. Traction Issuez

I don't necessarily know how the numbers compare from the older style 360's, but it's my understanding the newer magnum 360 blocks and cranks are good to about 700hp. That's the constant I'm trying to shoot for.
    For an engine that size if you're looking to go single, I would recommend looking in the group purchase forum for the GP on Master Power turbos and look for something in the T-70 range. Your displacement would suite that size very well and I don't think you'd ever be dissapointed with the power level even if you decide you want to get excessive in the future.
    As far as a simple setup, a turbo kit is nothing more than plumming. Plumb your headers together and into the turbine inlet, plumb the downpipe out of the engine compartment and back to the tail pipes. For the cold side, you'll want a big filter on the compressor inlet of the turbo and because you're carbed, I'd say just run the compressor outlet right into the carb hat and run some good gas. Additional components will include a Tial wastegate and BOV. Send a PM to VSracing and he'll hook you up.
    issuez

3. 68Roadrunner

the block is good to about 700HP dependent on the RPM that it will live at.

the biggest limiting factor is the fact that all 360's have cast cranks , the guys running the 4" cast MP stroker cranks are breaking them at the 600HP level and it has become an increasing phenomenon. you can look to spend about 700 dollars to get a callies dragonslayer crank for our application if you are going to get serious.

as stated earlier the Master Power Turbos are the way to go as far as bang for your buck and they are very good performers from what i have heard.

4. snailpower

I run a master power T70, stock 360 except for the forged pistons, carburated daily driver. I am making somewhere in the 500 hp range at 9 lbs of boost. I think it is a good combination...:D

issuez, you were right on the money for the turbo size of choice. Took me almost a year of homework to figure the size out.

68RR - if your talking about 700 dollar crankshafts...I need to hear about your ride!! :D

5. 68Roadrunner

my ride will be using a forged crank...wether stock or 4340 is unclear.

the limits of the stock cast stuff has become more and more apartent as racers are breaking it. i would rather show him the alternative than work around numbers that could make the engine fail if attention is not paid.

that is the cheapest aftermarket SB forged crank. im not sure if it is made in the 3.58 stroke for the 360...i think its on in the 3.313 for the 318/340 actually.