1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rise Like Lazarus! 4.6L Cobra Super T-76 Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by wildcardfox, May 8, 2011.

1. wildcardfox

Hey everybody! Thanks for stopping by... :cheers: Just thought that I would make a thread about my rebuild of the my car. It's been down for 2 years and were finally reaching the final stretch.

This was the car as it was 2 years ago

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I took it down becuase we were having some fuel issue that wouldn't let us increase hp past 560 hp. After frustations I decided to rebuild everything, making it bigger and better. A better designed kit, new fuel system parts, everything was rebuilt again. And this is the result as I am about to send it off to paint next week.

[​IMG]#ad

the car has an Accufab Pro Street Spec 4.6L 10:1 Compression, A beams, JE pistons, and valve job... yadda yadda yadda etc.

The turbo is a Turbonetics Super T-76 Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo
    HKS GT II Wastegate 60 mm
    Twin Tial 50 mm BOVs
    BTI Mega Godzilla Intercooler (Greddy 4 row Intercooler Core)

the turbo pipes are 2.25 from the engine to a 2.5 merge that loops through the A arms, to and snakes its way to the top of the turbo located behind the bumper. The Downpipe is a 4" from the turbo to a 3.5" relief section for better clearance around the steering column, and then back to a 4" off to the Magnaflow straight through muffler. The entire kit uses Double Slip Connectors, and V-bands for the turbo kit, and an Accufab Clamshell 3" for the intercooler side. The fuel system is now based on a behind bars race car aluminum tank with twin bosch 044 pumps.

The tear down

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4" Downpipe with Magnaflow Muffler next to the old Muffler shop made 3" exhaust

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

pipes mocked up

[​IMG]#ad

This was with the full 4" dp that was revised to include a 3.5" section for clearance

Below are the kit finally installed

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. 331StrokerStang

Lets see.

I want your wheels.

Why the turbo placement choice?

And it looks good!

3. wildcardfox

Thanks. Turbo placement.... Stealth. I like to hide my turbo kit being in California. Plus it makes the kit more of a challenge :welder:

4. FoPar

great modular build, i love it :2thumbs:

5. FSTMRFR

I dig the hidden location! that is where I put both of mine! it looks N/A from under the hood... and I know all about california emmisions laws... my old man is a certified inspector...

the build is nice, and your wheels are spectacular! has the perfect stance to the car!

what kind of numbers you plan on pushin?

6. wildcardfox

Thanks Guys. Yah emissions isn't really my worry, just if you ever get told by a cop to pop the hood, I dont want a huge turbo sitting there. The only problem was the size of the turbo and the dp. I didn't want anything low to scrape, I had that issue before and it gets old real quick. The other benefit is like you said, the car looks na with the turbo out of the engine bay. You can play dumb like "hey I only like to look fast, but I cannot go fast." stealth is a huge asset.

I'm looking for 700 on low boost, and then I'll be happy.

Thanks on the rims and the Stance, those are actually my old old rims, I'm using a new set now. Still 19s f 19x9.5 r 19x10 (I tried the whole 12" rear but gave it up), but forged and they were extremely expensive.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. wildcardfox

Also here are new pics of the IC kit all welded up :welder:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. De-Marko

Love the turbo placement and piping, looks good!

9. watahyahknow

i think placing the turbo like this makes the piping a lot shorter as whell both at the exaust side and the inlet side

10. 86_stI_andrew

That turbo placement might eat a small child or two, might want to watch that as the parents generally frown upon that happening. :ahah:

11. wildcardfox

The hot side is about the same as a reverse header setup, or actually a better comparison of length would be somewhere around the Hellion kits in header length... The cold side is practically a straight shot to the intercooler. It's an extremely short interccolering setup. All of the pipes on the hot side were kept small for velocity.

Hahaha yah we though about making a sticker of that a while ago when we saw the turbo... Something like Beware! Turbo may devour young children and small animals.

What's up Demarko.... Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your posts :cheers:

12. watahyahknow

i do remember there where some stickers mounted close to jet intakes on militairy jets maibe you can find one of those
    [​IMG]#ad

13. wildcardfox

That's actually bad ass... I'm gonna do that. Might even put it in the paint..... Thanks for the idea. :cheers:

14. 93wannabe

nice project! can you send me the part # for that magnaflow muffler?

15. wildcardfox

Thanks, magnaflow #12770

16. blk mk8

wicked cool

17. wildcardfox

Thanks man :2thumbs:

18. stangman9897

Your going to run 19" wheels with low profile tires on the car with the power you will be making.
    My Cobra has 17" with MT DR and having no side wall they don't hook for shit, going 15" so i can get some sidewall to help bite.

19. wildcardfox

For me, driving on the street with tires that I know will not hook is an insurance policy. Instead of braking parts, your tires break loose. It works for me, plus I'm mainly a highway guy... I don't get on it unless I'm going 65 plus. Also I think it's mainly what your setting you car up for- drag, street driving, road race... There are many different setups. :cheers:

20. De-Marko

I'm good, getting ready to start a build thread on my 89 GT with an HP turbo kit. :chacha: Are you still doing the turbo build on "Alax7's" LS on LVC?