1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1989 Silverado Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by craig6.9diesel, Mar 5, 2011.

1. craig6.9diesel

Re: 1989 Silverado

Thanks! I bought my truck 2 years ago as a roller and it was originally a 4.3 5 speed and I made it a 350 700r4 and the guy I got it from had started taking the wiring out of it so it was a little hacked from him and I had wired up the lock up converter and some other stuff so the harness was pretty jimmied up... Basically what I did was figure out what I needed from the plug coming out of the drivers side and I was amazed at how little I had to cut so hopefully everything still works when I put it back together...

Also the 4l80e controled by the tb computer is possible but I think you would have to use a computer from a newer truck like a 93-95 cause they came with 4l60 tranmissions. I will probably be getting a turbo 400 in the near future anyways, a friend from back home has like 4 of them and he said I could have one if I wanted. Probably will so I dont toast my 700. May try to sell it, I think I could get 700 bucks for a pretty fresh 700r4 that has a ton of mods and $$$ into.

2. blown385

It wont last with any power to it .

I had my " built " 700R4 " rebuilt " 4 times under warranty . Bought a $ 1000 TH400 and never had another issue , except for braking the input shaft , but I'm told thats pretty rare . lol

3. BlownShovel

Yes the controller referred to was used in the late tbi trucks. I have one in my 95 but I'm not using it.

I agree with others saying to sell off your 700 and head toward a 4l80e or th400. The 400 and a 3.08-3.23 gear might just be right. If the 4l80e goes out in my truck I'll probably swap to a carb and th400 (3.08 gears)... then use the 4l80 in my chevelle but will probably MVB or Rosslock it and not mess with the electronics.

4. craig6.9diesel

I agree with putting a 400 in it.... The 700 will work for right now though.... My truck has 3.42 gears in it that should be ok, what you think?

5. blown385

I think 3.73s would be better for street driving . It will get into RPM quicker .

6. 1BadV6ThirdGen

i found the cheap option for the 700r4 cause i got tired of paying to have them rebuilt all the time

get the tci racing/master rebuild kit from summit and a transgo shiftkit
    the trans will still burn up but it will last alot longer then a stock rebuild my last one has lasted over a year were as before i di the tci kit i was going in for a rebuild every month if i raced the car down the track 2 times a week

total cost is about 300 bucks if u build it urself

7. craig6.9diesel

My 700 is already "built". It has hardened shafts, and upgraded drum and all kinds of stuff.... I havent a clue about the parts of a transmission I just know it works. A real good friend and ex-neighbor of mine took it apart and said somebody had spent a shit ton of money on it.... And I trust what he said we've been friends for a while and the thing works awesome. It even has kick when the converter locks up!

On another note I started installing some wiring today! I think its going to be harder than I thought, but o well I will get it done.

8. blown385

I was talking about the 3.73s on the TH400 not the 700R4 .

If I remember right , first gear was very short with the 700 . Wasnt in it long at the track . lol

9. craig6.9diesel

I understood what you meant, I will probably run the 700 until I get the whole turbo thing figured out... I have a long way to go. I really need to get it running again because of it being my daily driver! The bike is going to be a wet ride for the next couple days!

10. fullsizeterror

that sucks bout the bike lol. I tried forever to get a 700r4 to hold, even best 60 ft with it thanks to that first gear, it was also set up like yours and lasted til i sprayed it, then boom. now i have a th350 which isn't a whole heck of alot better so guess im switchin to a 400 also before this thing runs again.

11. craig6.9diesel

Luckily its only a 5 minute ride to work.

12. craig6.9diesel

Its rainy and 45 degrees outside and wiring my truck is being a pain in my ass! What happened to the 70 degree days from last week!

13. fullsizeterror

it was 80 3 days ago...woke up to snow this morning :bang: so be thankful for your 45

14. craig6.9diesel

true that!

Anyone use a LS motors with MegaSquirt set up to be wasted spark? I have seriously been thinkin about selling all my Gen 1 sbc stuff and getting a jy 4.8 or 5.3 and running the megasquirt2 that I have already. Just a thought.... I am going to do some research on here and see what I can come up with....

15. jessmeistertc

:chacha: :cheers: :2thumbs: :chacha: Yea Boi. That April issue of Hot Rod sunk in finally. Do it to it, like u used to it. And dont be taking my turbo 400 either. I picked it out already. its the best one. you can have the second best. JK

16. jessmeistertc

little inspiration for ya. found these a long time ago. cool street truck.

17. craig6.9diesel

I will probably do it but its more of a matter of when then if.... I really want to wait until we have another car cause this not having anything to drive other then the ZX14 is getting old... I do like that truck though!

18. craig6.9diesel

Might try and start the truck up for the first time on the megasquirt tomorrow! I only have a couple connections to make! Man I should have left the old computer in and just piggy back it, that wiring was a pain in my ass! But I think I have got it figured out.

19. craig6.9diesel

Well I have it just about all done and the rain just let loose! I had to grab my computer and all my tools and run into the garage! Good news though it all seems to be working I cranked it and I got some ignition signal but didnt start cause I dont have the distributor cap on. Its supposed to be nasty out today and tomorrow so probably wont do much.

20. craig6.9diesel

It started and ran! It wasnt pretty but it did it! Now I have to figure out how to use Tuner Studio.