1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Symptoms of a lifted head

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by 302f150, Aug 26, 2010.

1. 302f150

Hey guys, I'm just wondering, from most of the posts I've seen people are saying you need to be running pretty high boost. I did a 3rd gear pull passing someone and I thought I smelled coolant so I let out around 4800rpm. I pulled over and checked, and the overflow looked like it was in the same place as it always is when hot. I drove it 40 miles at 2300rpm(crusing 73mph on the interstate) and then some in town driving, and I haven't noticed it running rough or skipping, never got close to overheating. I'm just kinda paranoid, that was the first 3rd gear pull since the build, I'm only running 6psi though, I was watching the boost gauge. So, is there any easy way to rule it out?

2. tmc4065

is it blowing/puffing out of the breather tube on the valve cover?

how do your plugs look?

thats where I would start and then you can get into leakdown testing

3. turbofreek

I found mine in the turbo when i took off the downpipe. There was no symptoms until i blew the motor apart a few days later. I sen some white residue in the so looked per, but I was inexperienced for what to look for until after that. I gains a ton of info on that bomb. There maybe some pics of it, but its been years and a few thousand post since. Lol

4. 302f150

I dont have anything in the catchcan other than the typical condensation and crap. Would I have felt like a sudden decrease in power or anything? I didn't notice anything, but I've been at school since that night, so I haven't been able to check anything. The car that was going 45 in a 55 might have had a problem, and I mightve just caught a whiff of the coolant when I went by. Idk, like I said, I might be be paranoid, not much I can do if it did it, I'll just have to take the car down I guess. I had the heads resurfaced and used felpro RACE headgaskets when I built the engine like 15k miles ago, so I don't think it's likely, but you never know with this kind of stuff. How much boost were you running when yours crapped out turbofreek? Also, what happened to the motor exactly?

5. turbofreek

6psi and it hydrolocked under throttle placing the rotating assembly softly in the pan and the street very neatly. I was no in boost either only lost power and didn't know why as I tried to hold speed and boom

6. 68mustang

I ran a string of high 11 passes with coolant coming out the overflow, i didnt realize it at the time because it was running so good i didnt bother to check the overflow. I never noticed a dramatic decrease in power, just the coolant kept coming out, and if I just drove around town it wouldnt, it only happened when I got into boost. Tore it down and was blown in four spots, I was running mls too :stupid:

Id say if its not filling the overflow dont worry about it, i kow the paraqnoid feeling your having though. it amazing how you can pick up on diferent smells/noises when youve just got dont modding your car.

7. 73maro511TT

Get some plastic tube and go from the overflow port on your tank and run that tube under the hood and lay it against your windshield. If you lift the head it will pressurize the cooling system and force the coolant clean out of the system. Get coolant on the windshield, odds are the gasket blew/ got lifted. Plus with it there the coolant wont go under the car and under a tire.

8. mayer5oh

yea i ran my overflow line to a clear milk jug strapped to the front of the car, when the heads lifted i could see coolant shoot out. this was with stock heads and 12psi. i actually turned the boost back to 8 and it was fine. also, after it shot a bunch of coolant out under boost it would get hot... watch your temp guage. and BTW i think youre just paranoid. let it go and drive the car a little more, see what happens. also, how much timing are you running?

9. 302f150

Im running 22.5 degrees timing max. I have driven it several hundred miles, and done several pulls. One time i popped the hood to check the overflow(its a cheap universal one from advance, hold a quart and a half maybe) there was some coolant on top of the bottle, but it hasn't run low....the cap is a huge vent...so idk if it was condensation or something serious...i filled it halfway up initially. Idk how much coolant normally comes out when hot on these, mine was missing a tank when i got it...any input?

10. mayer5oh

empty it completely and see if any more comes out. everytime i fill my car up with coolant it always spits some into the tank. its usually just a little full. gets hot and expands

11. 302f150

I actually found the problem and fixed it a while back. I believe these are the symptoms of a lifted head....the firing ring didn't look egg shaped, yet you can clearly see where combustion went around and to the cooling port. Can anyone confirm this? Crappy pics but they're all I have
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. wantabe

yep , ur right :2thumbs:
    leaking

13. mayer5oh

yea i had 5 or 6 that looked that way. i actually blew out two sets breaking the rings and all after throwing new heads on my car, only to find out my torque wrench was about 25lbs light :bang:

14. 68mustang

how did you figure that one out?

15. mayer5oh

next time i put the heads on i checked it against a buddies wrench that was known to be good. the bolt i thought i was torquing to 100ft/lbs was actually 75. barely above stock headbolts.

16. wantabe

actually it happened the other way round.
    the dentination / ur tuneup , broke the rings and pushed the gasket out

17. kwiktsi

+1 blown headgaskets don't break rings.