1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'FOPAR' Extreme 10.5 Twin Turbo 4.6L Ford powered Dodge Daytona build in Aus

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by FoPar, Aug 25, 2010.

1. FoPar

hey guys and gals, im new to the forums. im building a full tube chassis 1991 Dodge Daytona (all you Ford guys, please don't give me grief about it, i wanted a Mustang roller but this was all i had available to me :D it will have a 4.6L Ford Mustang Cobra 4V V8, 2 x Precision PT7675 turbo's with a .9 turbine housing, Stage 3R ported 97 Cobra 'B' heads, Comp Cams, Race-prepped cryo-treated, shot speened forged steel Cobra crank, custom Diamond Pistons and custom Carillo rods. Motec M800 ECU, MOTEC 200mj CDI (being from Australia i had to have something Aussie apart from me in the car :D the 4.6 was never released here so everything has to be sourced from the US) Mark Williams 9'' Diff with 9.5'' 3.89 Diff Gears, Mark Williams Aluminium Driveshaft, Romac Floater Rear End, Mickey Thompson Pro-5 Wheels and M/T 33'' x 10.5W Slicks, 2-Speed Auto PowerGlide Gearbox, Neal Chance 10'' Bolt Together Torque Converter with roughly 7000rpm stall, 16 x ID2000 Injectors, Accufab 90mm Throttle Body, Accufab Clamshell Clamps, Hogan's Racing Intake Manifold, Aeroquip Kevlar/Nomex Hoses and Speedflow Stealth fittings, Aeromotive Fuel Pump & Regulator, Moroso 4-Vane Vacuum Pump. all the fab work has been done GrooveRyder Fabrications here in Australia. this included adding almost 65 extra bars and doing all the mounting, pipework, radiator, wheelie bars and fuel cell there was quite alot of other work also as i bought the roller as an unfinished project. the original owner was only going to run a BBC roughly 800hp and was a much smaller than me, he was roughly 5'6'' 150lbs, im 6'3'' 280lbs. Motec guru Shane T will be Remote Tuning (Internet) the car, we are hoping for 1500-1700hp on around 30-35psi, the car will be running on Methanol (possibly even E85). hopefully we will run low 7's and working to high 6's with a bit more boost. should have it all ready by September 2012.

here are some photo's from the build:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

if your interested in more info on the build you can go to http://www.fullboost.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8160 i am almost at the engine assembly stage just waiting on some goodies to arrive. de-burred the inside and outside of the block the other day, hopefully next week all is here and i can get the electrician in to do his bit.

2. nos10racer

Re: 'THE FOPAR' 1500+hp Twin Turbo 4.6L Ford powered 1991 Dodge Daytona build in Aus

:drool2:

WOW !!

now thats a turbo car :2thumbs:

3. mcnally351

Re: 'THE FOPAR' 1500+hp Twin Turbo 4.6L Ford powered 1991 Dodge Daytona build in

So much money in the car, he can't afford a chalk block. Lol. Cool build- I like the side exit exhaust with wg dp.

4. FoPar

Re: 'THE FOPAR' 1500+hp Twin Turbo 4.6L Ford powered 1991 Dodge Daytona build in

thanks :lh: it's actually quite a budget build all up it will owe me a little over $90K which most people building a full tube chassised 6-sec Turbo car from pretty much scratch will say is pretty cheap.

thanks mate, i'm new to driving a drag car, so, i figured i will jump in head, feet and everything else first :ras:

5. nos10racer

i just spent that on my house lol

6. FoPar

:D there were stages i wish i had done that also :rofl:

7. badride5

Re: 'THE FOPAR' 1500+hp Twin Turbo 4.6L Ford powered 1991 Dodge Daytona build in Aus

What a beast! :2thumbs: Why did you go with such small tires, you could easily fit another inch of rubber under there. =)

8. Lebaron91

Great choice of body and engine, I bet there aren't many like that! :2thumbs:

9. 96Tangg

That is slick as hell, cant wait to see your video of the track runs.

10. Turbohwagon

:lh: OMFG, that is awesome..... I wish i could afford to do that to the 88 shelby z in my back yard. :'(

11. MSM69Z28

Fantastic build. Followed the link to see the entire build from the other forum page, and very impressive. I am building a 5.4 with billet oliver I-beam. The carrillo rods you showed in the other thread were custom made?

Great job.

Michael

12. 99TTGT

Welcome to our forum.!
    that thing is just SICK... :cheers:

13. FoPar

thanks guys, i can't wait to get her out there also, start off on low boost, we are hoping it weigh much more than 2400lbs :chacha:

SSCott i wish i could get more under :lh: i'm gonna check see if i can get 34'' under there, might run a 34.5 x 16 for now, when i wear those slicks out i'm going 10.5'' anyway.

Lebaron91 believe it or not, mine is the only 4.6 Modular twin turbo in Australia and there is only 2 Dodge Daytona's :D mine and the guy i bought it off has another, as far as i know we are the only guys here to have a Daytona, surprisingly most people like the shape, and the old owner spent a few days in a wind tunnel sorting it all out, the back coupls inches of the roof was angled down more for better airflow.

MSM69Z28 yeah we had a custom set made up, the ones Carillo have made up get thinner down the small end and wouldn't have handled the power probably as we want to push it closer to 2000hp later on. they assured me these are good for over 2000hp.

14. gotageta5oh

I love it. :2thumbs:

15. FoPar

thanx mate

have the electrician coming in the next week so i put the motor back in the nugget today. haven't screwed it together yet, was waiting on a few things to arrive from the US. taking my time with it not going to rush anymore i don't need to have it all done till the end of October. deciding wot to do about thrust bearing failures, i would prefer to prevent the problem if possible so we spent some time working out what we can do. we can go a roller thrust plate but that would involve me going an external oil pump, i prefer to run the factory oil pump as i want to drop this engine into a street car eventually. converter valve relief should help with the issue plus we do a couple small mods on the bearing which allows it push the crank off when it hits, time will tell.

added a couple little odds and bods to the car like the transmission oil cooler, twist on, push off battery disconnect, the switch panel, CDI coils (i will probably have the shortest leads in history :D) put an EGT in the charge pipe, the air temp going in will be roughly around 250-280 degrees Fahrenheit so a EGT probe would last longer at that temp than a standard IAT sensor. had Shane T do the base tune and have stored it into the M800 ready to go when the engine is done.
    TPS
    MAP
    EMAP
    FP
    IAT
    Dual NTK Lambda
    8 x EGT
    OP
    ET
    Ref Sync
    GPS
    Driveshaft speed
    Block Pressure
    Crankcase Pressure
    Transmission Line Pressure
    Converter Outlet Temp
    Transmission Oil Temperature
    Pot Sensors for Shock Travel

the car is all engine pretty much, i can almost reach right to the back when i'm sitting in with roughly 1700hp gonna be fun going 200+mph on 2 wheels most of the way down :stupid:, only has a 97'' wheelbase, 108'' would be perfect
    [​IMG]#ad

battery disconnect
    [​IMG]#ad

switch panel
    [​IMG]#ad

cdi coils
    [​IMG]#ad

16. dug

holy shit now that is a car. I love all of it. For never having a drag car you definitely are jumping all in thats awesome :2thumbs: just take it easy the first few passes lol

17. FoPar

thanks mate, it's good to jump in head first that way u know what your made of ;) will be starting off slow few half track passes on 10-15psi and building up from there, hopefully 20-30 runs i will be ready to screw her up to 35lbs and let it rip :chacha:

18. FoPar

finishing up the heads, changing from moly to titanium retainers. put in some nice strong springs good for 10000+rpm and over .600'' of lift.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. badride5

10,000 RPM's! :chacha: Are you building a motorcycle? :bow: Those heads look killer

20. turbotater84

That is an awesome combo. So is the car from the U.S. also? and btw if you guys dont have mod motors what do you have there? car looks great im jealous.