1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1992 Mustang GT DIY HX40w build(DYNO results in!!!!!)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 302f150, Jul 21, 2010.

1. 302f150

Okay, finally starting my build thread. Here's the rundown. Bought the car may 13 of 2007 lol. It was in pretty horrible condition, though I thought it was mainly appearance and a fuel pump/brakes/tires. Interior was stripped and most of the pieces were sitting in the hatch. Many were the wrong color. So I worked 40 hour weeks during the summer, came home and worked until it was time to sleep. On the weekends I'd stay up til 2 or 3 am. Did this everyday for a couple months(no girlfriend haha). Found out the guy had put the wrong type of lugnuts on the wheels, they came off at a pretty good speed, the wheel went off somewhere and the car fell onto the brake drum/axle, drum was gone when I got it, axle was bent. Shock mounts has been grounf pretty good, and it took 30 minuts with the side grinder to get the lip off the backing plate so I could mount a new drum. Plus the fuel pump was bad, plus the master cylinder and brakes along with all the hardware for the rear(back left had nothing left after the wreck apparently) aaand on my first test drive I found out that 2nd gear was stripped. Fast forward, did some body work, rebuilt the transmission, sanded and primed the car, put the matching wheels and CORRECT lugnuts on. Had a guy paint it, did some engine work, and now I'm doing the turbo build. I bought a pony down hotside from a guy on here, but the post office lost it, and I don't have 5 weeks to wait for a new one since I'm going to college over an hour away, which means I lose my shop access and welder in a few weeks. So now I'm fabbing the hotside. I actually don't have any pics of the turbo itself right now, but I'll get some. Wish me luck guys, I'm definitely gonna need it on my time schedule lol

Chassis:
    D&D motorsports tubular k-member and control arms, with coilover springs on the fron
    Eibach drag launch springs on the back
    Boxed rear control arms(can't remember from where)
    Subframe connectors
    Torque Box reinforcements

Engine:
    2001 5.0 block, stock rotating assembly with less than 50k on them
    Worked the heads slightly(gt40p) mainly just cleaning up casting flaws and port matching to gaskets
    Edelbrock performer rpm II intake
    BBK 70mm TB

Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer for engine management, tuning it with my netbook
    Innovate Wideband

Drivetrain:
    Tremec TKO transmission
    Ceramic clutch
    Rebuilt traction LOK rearend with carbon fiber clutches
    Aluminum driveshaft
    3.73 gears

Turbo stuff:
    Holset HX40w turbo, 60mm 8 blade compressor with 23 cm^2 turbine housing
    FRPP 42 lb injectors
    C&L 76 mm blow through MAF
    Flipped shorty headers
    Dynomax ultraflow welded 3.5 inch muffler and 3.5 inch downpipe
    JGS 50mm BOV
    JGS 40mm Wastegate

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. badride5

Re: 1992 Mustang GT DIY HX40w build(lots of pics)

looking good! You got lucky with that wheel man, that could've been real bad!

3. mcnally351

Good luck. are you going remote mount?

4. 302f150

it didn't come off with me driving, I had it on the roll back and when I got it home and started on the brakes I found all the evidence from where it had happened to the guy I bought it from. Along with the wrong lugnuts still installed(had a tapered seat and the wheels needed a shouldered lugnut). And I'm planning on doing a passenger mount single, I had two t25 turbos I was going to try to remote mount, because I thought they were bigger than waht they were and when I found out which model they were I had to sell them(they had t3 housings, were dirt cheap, and the seller was clueless, so I took a chance, ended up selling them for a profit though).

5. nos10racer

freaking another holset for the win !!!!!!!!!!

6. sn 95guy

i love my holset :) keep em coming im subscribing!!

7. 302f150

made some more progress today, but was too tired to take pics. Got valve cover gaskets changed and intake put back on. Relocated the power steering pump and the alternator. Got the oil feed line halfway made and attached to the block. Got my fuel lines out of the way of the headers and secured. The flange and the hotside that connects to it is very close, need to redo one angle and spot weld it in place, just hard to do cuz im holding the turbo with the flange and pipe attached to it along with air filter and all on it(want to be able to change it w.o pulling the turbo lol) and trying to explain to my assistant what is going through my mind and get him to mark everything. Already have the intercooler mounted, and a transmission cooler off a ford ranger to replace the factory "loop" cooler fo rthe power steering. Im going out of town this weekend....which means I get to work some more 16 hour days next week to finish it up lmao. This was all after work and dinner(besides the intercooler) so I believe I'm making pretty good progress

8. 302f150

Okay, got in about an hour and a half of work friday before I left. Here's some pics. Hopefully will be done by wednesday. I actually have the driver side tube coming down, and a 90ish angle on it, but I didn't have a chance to take pics before i left. Just need to get a rough in on where the merge will be, then tac it in, take it out and attempt to make it pretty lol. Gonna try coating it with the VHT stuff, just to see what happens. I've heard a few people say it was okay, some say it will flake off in a year, but it was like 8 bucks for a can and I already had an order coming, so I figured what the heck. We will see how it turns out, I assume a lot of the results will depend on if I actually follow the curing process. Also have a black turbo blanket coming. The downpipe will have a vband at the turbo, and one near the firewall so I can remove that section. The crossover will either have one or 2 v-bands, I have two, but not sure I need to remove the center, and a flex section. My first time fabricating and doing any sort of extensive welding, so feedback is welcomed
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. BenLX

What year and trim Mustang are these seats from? I could use a pair...

10. 302f150

They were from an 04 gt with charcoal leather interior

11. hotrodder_101

Looks good so far. The only way to learn is by doing. Keep it up.
    Luke

12. 302f150

Got more progress, need to connecto the intercooler to TB side, and finish the downpipe and weld in the O2 sensor bungs. Pretty much everything else is done. Should be done by tomorrow, praying nothing goes wrong to where I have to take it back apart.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. badride5

looking good! Are you going to post a vid when you get it running? You may have said it but how much boost are you going to run? Is it just for play or you going to race it? Thanks!

14. 302f150

I'll definitely get some vids. This is a street/strip car. Gonna start with like 6 or 7 psi, I'm shooting for anything over 400whp. Don't really want to get over 9psi.

15. nos10racer

you get a A++ in the diy field ; ) this is awesome build i check it everyday :cheers:

16. 302f150

Thanks a lot, Ive worked so many late nights on this thing the past week I'm almost sick of it. Got it cranks up, had downpipe just routed down and turned towards rear of car right at the bellhousing area. Cranke dit up, had a leak in my oil feed line, fixed that, was running pretty good. Took a quick vid after initial inspection. Then the smoke show started. The entire shop got filled up. Assuming I need to rebuild the turbo now. Yaaaay....this pic was close to when it started being noticeable. It got much much worse.

[​IMG]#ad

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n252/cyber06wolf/Mustang/?action=view&current=2010-07-28_21-58-38_560.mp4

17. 302f150

Okay, I have a thread in the turbo tech forums, I have tons of oil coming out of the downpipe, so I got a rebuild kit and put it in the turbo. Still shooting oil out of the turbo, got to checking stuff, and took the elbow coming out of the turbo loose and a bunch of oil came pouring out, so now I'm thinking it's a drain issue. In serious need of help, this is my last weekend to work on this in the shop, giving up my trip to the beach. Thinking I need to swap to the hotside that came in the mail(the day I finished fabricating mine) in order to be able to re-route the oil drain....and remake the downpipe and all that good stuff....w00t

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141953.0

18. Kawgomoo

the oil drain back line has to be HUGE and gravity fed. Spend the money, use a -10 an hose and fittings. route it short and direct, retap the pan if necessary.

MAKE SURE YOU TAP THE PAN ABOVE THE OIL LINE! yes that means towards the top. if you are tapped into teh bottom of the pan, oil cant get out of the turbo.

thats about it. but these problems are almost always the oil return line. do it right!

19. 302f150

it is stainless steel -10 an, and it is above the oil level, I can take the hose loose with the oil level full and nothing comes pouring out, but the angle isnt so great I guess

20. 302f150

okay, have FINALLY been able to drive my turbo mustang! No oil leaks or anything, but my header gaskets are leaking, I'm gonna drive it a bit and tighten the bolts and see if it goes away in a day, if not I'm pulling everything back off lmao. Got into boost a couple times, the first time I made full boost I got scared when the wastegate opened up(it just dumps, and I'm not used to a loud noise all of a sudden) and let off immediately. It's right around 6 or 7 psi, didn't kick in until 3200ish rpm, but I have the timing at 22 degrees, could probably help spool by playing with it. Second time I got into it I broke traction in a 2nd gear roll(its been raining all day) and I let off as soon as I heard it cut loose. The blowoff valve sounds awesome, its been pretty quiet though, but its not the high pitched deal, its sounds like a whoosh of air, and a huge smile hit my face when I heard it lol. It was originally open at idle, so I put the stiffer spring supplied in, closed at idle, and it cycled when I let off the gas under load, didn't hear any surge. All in all I'm happy I made it this far. Gonna work on the tune(actually was running like 10.5:1 during wot) and prolly up the boost to the harder wastegate spring(8 or 9?) 1st vid is open downpipe. 2nd is the vid of the new exhaust and all, car cut off after rev, had to tweak the MAF curve to get it to run a little better
    http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n252/cyber06wolf/Mustang/?action=view&current=2010-07-30_21-04-32_160.mp4
    http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n252/cyber06wolf/Mustang/?action=view&current=2010-07-31_17-42-56_991.mp4
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad