1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

True to the spirit of the junk yard and DIY .

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by furchaser, Jul 12, 2010.

1. furchaser

This going to be a trial and error washer fluid injection system for a pulling tractor that has a 360 cid inline 6 Diesel and a Holset H1E turbo that makes 20-25 lbs boost depending on traction. So far the old girl has proven itself winning both 7500 lb and 10,000 lb weight classes on it's first real event. These 2 switches are brake light switches from heavy truck air brake systems that close at 5-6 psi . I'm not sure which one i will use yet but will test them both tomorrow when I make the injector. The plan is a 3/16 brake line soldered to a fitting that I can screw into the cold side before the intake with 4 holes that will vaporize the spray and a 45 psi rated pump . When we were testing the tractor after I built the turbo my infrared gun showed the temp started to rise on the cold side about 7-8 lbs and climbed from there.
    Anyways , this will be the start of another dumb idea that will drive me nuts .... but i will make it work.

meth switch.jpg #ad

meth switch2.jpg #ad

Fuel pump 007.jpg #ad

2. furchaser

Pictures may suck a bit but I have what I want. Started with 4 holes in a 3/16 brake line drilled to 1/16 ... I knew that was to large and drilling brake line is like picking someone elses nose on a school bus. So i figured I could solder the holes in and use a pen knife to get what i wanted using a vacuum gauge to let me know when it would leak .. ( telling me I have a hole ) So I made about 8 of these untill I got a spray that I was happy with. I don't know what it should be but it will fill a 16 oz cup in 2 minutes timed and seems to have a nice even spray. I think I might turn it into the turbo and see what happens blowing back over itself. The test pipe is just a hunk of 2 1/2" that was under the bench tapped to 1/8 pipe.. I indexed the injector so when I stuff it in the tractor pipe I have an idea which way it's pointed.

Test pick #6 was before and and test pic #4 is the final... as you can see in #6 it was squirtin off to one side with big droplets.. not what I was looking for.

Test pic #2 is hard to see but it has a 3 foot span about 2 feet out of the hole with hardly any big droplets.

Oh and btw , these switches turn on at 6 psi.

test1.jpg #ad

test2.jpg #ad

test3.jpg #ad

test4.jpg #ad

test5.jpg #ad

test6.jpg #ad

test7.jpg #ad

test8.jpg #ad

3. pdonk93lx

I love the pile on the bench. Reminds me of my shop; Shit everywhere!! lol I need to spend a day picking up three weeks worth of tools......... :doh:

What are you using for a pump out of curiosity?

4. furchaser

lol , I know it's mess but it's my mess.

The best pump for my needs ( most psi ) was an AC Delco universal kit :huh: It puts out very close to their rating of 45 psi .. it was a half pound short.

Edit : I should add that i got a couple welding rods for aluminum from a buddy that were suppose to be able to weld beer cans together with nothing more than a propane torch... I laughed and then tried them... holy shit. :2thumbs: I tried to pull the cans apart and i couldn't without ripping them in half.

new rods.jpg #ad

5. Mnlx

I pull an 8600 ford with 4le schwitzer making about 45-50 psi, and I used a Shur Flo pump. (looks like most of the water/meth pumps in the kits, and will exceed 100 psi if you let it) It works very well on mine.

6. amnima

We aren't allowed to use water in our farm stock classes. But I have made plenty homemade water kits in my days.

BTW. Do you have any youtube vids of your tractor running.

7. furchaser

I'm trying to get a copy of the vid taken on our first outing but I'm having trouble getting it from the person who took it. I will get some at the pull this friday night. I made this set up for a pull coming in August where anything goes.

I just can't bring myself to spend any money on this...lol

8. 99TTGT

Cool.!
    Make sure you got the right brake switch.
    they make a hight & low, don't ask me how I find that out............... :bah:
    I think one is red & the other one is yellow ,like the one of the pic.
    I got them out of a International truck.

9. furchaser

I ended up using the one with the 1/4 pipe thread because it opened more consistently at 6 psi and also I can just drill / tap the intake and mount it permanently. I wish I knew a litlle more about this stuff ..lol ... I'm not quite sure of how far after the turbo and how close to the actual intake to put my injector.

I've read that putting it closer to the turbo outlet is more effective but I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts on this.

10. furchaser

Okay , I've made some adjustments before I installed it... 1998-2002 Dakota's ( as far as I know ) have this wicked little check valve in the washer hoses.. It looks like a Y but it works mint for this kind of set up .It keeps the fluid right at the nozzle and doesn't drip. I used an led off the pressure switch to let the operator know that it is pumping and that also worked slick. Third gear high range and it dug the wheelie bars into the asphalt as soon as the light came on. :chacha:

11. Drac0nic

Awesome. Sounds like you're going to be getting nuts with this pretty soon.

12. 10secgoal

Lovin' it. :rock2:

13. amnima

Here is mine in the 12,500 farm stock. Sorry to jack your thread.

14. slow8.0

Do you have a part# on that switch? Where would I get one?

15. jaredsamurai

Have you thought about injecting it on the turbo inlet? that rate of flow you have coming out of the brake line is gonna be alot less when your 45psi pump goes up against 25psi of boost. Just a thought.

16. furchaser

It works perfect ... Just a hint of flame at the pipe. Won 7500 lb and 8500 lb last night , they wouldn't let us hang weight behind the wheels even with wheely bars so we couldn't move up any more classes.
    http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=4936 This is basically the same switch. Any heavy truck dealer or parts store can get em.

17. furchaser

And again ,, took 7500 and 8500 lbs today ... :chacha:

18. furchaser

That thing runs well :2thumbs:
    I'm going to have to build some more weight brackets if we can't hang them behind the wheels .. We need to step up in classes to find some competition .
    6 first place in 2 weekends , people are starting to take notice..lol

19. Drac0nic

I saw a guy on thirdgen that did a set of runners with those. Looked pretty good

20. alain

What? No roll cage? No helmet?