1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

96 GT Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Turbo Terror, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Turbo Terror

I am currently doing another combo on my 96 GT
    1st Combo was a 98 Cobra Motor swap with 4.30 gears and the usual bolt ons
    2nd I added a P1SC-2 and ran out of fuel at 450 rwhp @ 4,000 RPM from what I remember
    3rd was a forged C headed motor with COP Conversion and it was N/A
    4th will be the forged C headed motor with an S400 custom turbo kit, C4 transmission, FAST Classic Standalone, Distributor setup all on a budget.
    So far I have installed my headers decided on turbo placement and started to remove the A/C and Heat although the kit will clear it all with custom A/C lines. (I only drive this car when the weather is nice so no need for any of this)
    Everything will be built by me from the motor to the turbo kit and transmission.
    I am planning on taking my time with this build because I want to do it right and I also do not have the time to work on it all the time with school. This car will be built for the occasional trip to the dragstrip, going to cruises and car shows, and the occasional dyno day while remaining on a budget. I am also trying to keep this build as simple as possible making the kit easy to remove and install, and making motor swaps simple.
    I plan on using stainless in the whole kit, coating everything on the hot side, polishing the cold side that will be all aluminum and powder coating the hard parts on the engine.
    Please excuse the dirty engine bay everything will be cleaned and hopefully painted before it all goes back together.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The power steering reservoir will be relocated to the area where the battery used to be. I will also have an 04 Cobalt overflow bottle in this position replacing the stock ugly piece.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The distributor will be on the passenger side exhaust cam, I want to be different on this build and having the distributor on this side makes routing the piping much easier.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The cooling fans will be mounted on the other side of the radiator.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I will be doing a short belt setup eliminating the A/C, the tensioner, and the extra idler.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. tt97cobra

Wow that turbo looks tight in there, who' headers are those??

3. Turbo Terror

Ya its a really tight fit with the fluidyne but it clears with more than enough room against the radiator and pulleys, the belt looks like it will have more than enough clearance too. And those headers were off of a custom twin turbo kit for an 03 04 cobra that cleared all the accessories and sway bar. The only thing it needed was a remote oil filter. The kit they are off of had a lot of heat issues with all the piping shoved in there so it got a new kit and I picked up the headers.

4. 99TTGT

nice,who built the headers?

5. Turbo Terror

They were done by a shop that was located in Arizona until they went out of business, they were the only thing worth saving off of the entire kit

6. cracker

Stainless headers are very prone to cracking, it just isnt as forgiving with vibration and heat cycles. I would strongly suggest a properly supported turbo, or optimally going mild steel.

Anyways, get some stock studs on those headers and you will be a lot better in the long run.

-W

7. 99TTGT

They look cool.
    keep up the good work. :2thumbs:

8. Turbo Terror

I only use stock studs on headers everything is currently being mocked up and I still need to work on the bracing for the turbo I just need to come up with a nice way to mount it.

9. Turbo Terror

I have decided on my final turbo placement and got the livernois adapter to run a remote oil filter and started cleaning the bottom of the car. Now I am debating whether or not I should run power steering and power brakes. If you are running them on a mod motor how do they feel from high speed stops and on the street?

10. 99TTGT

Here you go:
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124836.50

11. Turbo Terror

Just thought I would bring everyone an update.
    I finally received my harness for my Classic FAST, started looking at wiring diagrams and decided to see if the ECU was in fact operational since I have an opportunity to pick up another one. It took me a while to get the correct drivers installed for the usb to serial adapter but once I got that all taken care of it connected and went online extremely fast. I started to look at all the tables and ways to tune and think I will be extremely satisfied with the Classic unit, I have already used the XFI and I liked that. I will now be ordering the CD to upgrade so that I can use most wideband sensors so I am not stranded at the track without one. Speaking of widebands I have that option in mine installed, I have a 7 wire pigtail, but the 02 seems to be a 5 wire for some reason. Does anyone know whats up with that?
    I have also been thinking about going to a sullivan intake with a 90mm throttle body. Has anyone made this switch and not liked the end results? Or if you did and liked it please elaborate.
    I am also looking for a used crank trigger distributor so if you have one let me know what you got.

12. Turbo Terror

I have been talking to Craig Smith lately about getting the wideband disk so I can run any L1H1 or L2H2 sensor and I am getting that update from him. We also discovered that it is set up for a Dakota that doesnt use all the sensors and uses a hall effect for the distributor so I sent it into him today to get all the circuits changed and a new eeprom put into it that will have all the features that I am looking for. I am extremely satisfied with the service and price he has offered so far and highly recommend him for any questions or updates you may have.
    I am still deciding on if I should go with a Digital 6 or 7, hoping to make 1,000 to the tires when its all said and done. Im leaning to the 7 just not the programmable one because that will all be done through the fast. The only feature I may use on it is a retard.

13. Turbo Terror

Just wanted to let everyone know that the headers are for sale for the right price. I have been thinking about making new headers that place the outlets in a different spot to make the routing easier with a large downpipe and have enough room for an external oil pump. I may also be interested in a t4 based turbo if anyone wants to trade or purchase the s400.

14. culookn

im interested. send me a pm with price and pics

15. Turbo Terror

Ive been working on the car very slowly. Just been moving parts, Finally made a bracket to hold the weight of the turbo up, its extremely simple and effective enough to do what I want it to do which is hold most of the weight of the turbo while still allowing flex. Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I finished removing all of the a/c from under the hood, now i need to pull the dash to get the heater core out. I also need to do my abs delete and relocate the power steering and mount the cobalt reservoir before I can really begin to finish the hotside and coldside.
    I think I will be going to a sullivan intake with a 4150 throttle body and a carb hat to top it all of. I am doing this for a few reasons. On prior cars I have picked up a lot of low end torque with that combination which I will need with that 1.32 ar to help get it moving. I can also hide 90% of the wiring under the sully and the throttle body comes with the correct tps and iac for a standalone system.

16. Biggie

No distributor setup on that setup? thanks again for all the help again. :2thumbs: ? with the fuel lines on the rails. I was told by someone else it is best to run a line to the y block and then from there to each side of the rail and then on the back of the rail to run individual lines back to the regulator. Was told that when u go to the regulator first and looping it might starve the last 2 injectors. Dont know if that advice would help ya in anyway. Either way bad ass setup....

17. Turbo Terror

havent done the distributor yet, and you will want to run the regulator last, i still need to do my fuel system, and im happy to help

18. Biggie

Gotcha :doh: cant wait to see the finished project...

19. Turbo Terror

I finally got an 25% underdrive balancer so I could mount my trigger wheel to it. It took some modifying of the trigger wheel but it mounts up now and it is also sfi approved.

20. 99TTGT

pics