1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What are ya'lls thoughts on this

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by Cox Abele, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Cox Abele

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998...ewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2a023d828b

If I buy a "fun" car, it will be a Cobra vert, preferably in white and preferably a 94-95. I found a 98 that matches the description, but it has the 4.6l. I wouldn't have huge plans for it, like turbos, but in a few years it would have exhaust, a speedster cover and possibly a blower. I'm just looking for a car to enjoy really.

Here's my predicament. I can't buy the car outright. I would have to finance it. The price is reasonable, even at 8500, and the miles appear low (but look at the cluster, does that look tampered with?). The hood is also "up" or miss aligned. The paint on the rear bumper I can tolerate, and the dings I'll have pops a dent take care of. Not too tough... but in the next few years I'd like to buy my first home. Buying this car will postpone that idea for a while. I'm sure it will nickle and dime me after that with mods and small maintenance repairs.

What would you do? Be responsible and save the money for a house, or make the quick decision to finance a car that would only be a luxury.

2. Cox Abele

I forgot one important part. It's about an hour and a half away so if I decide to pull the trigger and go after the car, I will be seeing it in person and taking it for a test drive.

3. Agent86

What do you want more? a Toy or a home?

4. 6.0

Do you have a high res of the turbo and snail in your avatar?

Do you already have a toy?

5. Kellyo77

The fog light on the driver side is pushed back. And the fact that the driver side headlight looks new makes me think something happened to the car. Carfax may show up something but, if it was handled on the side it wouldn't. May be nothing. I would certainly want to see it up close before any money exchanged hands.

6. Cox Abele

nope, no big pictures of it. I'll upload what I have though.

At this point, the housing market is good for me, especially as a first time home buyer. I won't see the 09 tax credit, however there is an extension rolling around in congress right now, possibly offering more money. Additionally, I am single, so I wouldn't receive the credit in full. The house I'd be buying would be bought on my salary alone. If I am able to pull in a girlfriend/wife, that give us the insurance to allow one of us to be unemployeed or raise children if or when the time comes. Basically, I could finance a 100k house (middle class), but would rather buy a 50-75k house, take the credit, pay the thing off quickly and do some home-improvement stuff where it's possible... build a deck, finish an attic or basement... something that will provide more room and bring some additional value. 5-7 years I figure, and if married, sell it (hoping the market comes back by then) and move onto something more..... a starter house.

I have a toy but it's nothing to tinker with really. I have a kawasaki ninja 250; a sport bike with a scooter engine basically. If I had to decide between the bike and this cobra, I'd take the bike.

7. Agent86

Sounds to me you know what you should be doing..

The only reason i play with the cars, is due to the housing market being insanely unafordable out here in AU

Starter houses go for $300K....

Get the house, your paying rent to somone, paying off their investment for no gain.

Pay that to your own investment and start your path towards a good financial backing.
    If in doubt, ask ronlp what he thinks of his mustang.

8. ronlp

No such animal. All 1000 94s are/were red and all 1003 95s are/were black....even mine is still mostly black, lol.

Honesty though, if you have a hard-on for the look, buy a dime a dozen GT for 2-3k and change the bumper cover. There is nothing on a 94/95 that justifies any higher price and the stuff that is different usually ends up in the scrap bin because it's still shitty (heads, wheels, etc).

Btw, that 98, while an improvement over a 94/5 isn't worth that much either imo, especially since its a convertible. I bet he'd take 6500.

9. 10secgoal

Sounds like you already know the answer, and are hoping someone here will push you in the direction. (The one you want to be right.) My .02

10. Colt

Buy a house.....

I wish my damn car was done so I could get one.. I should have got the house, then worried about the car. The car still would have been built, just not this quickly. Hell I'm 26, everyone I know has a house, married and all that.. I'm single, still live at home.. The plus side to that, I dont pay rent, the house is so damn big my dad and I hardly see each other. The bad part is, I fuckin live with my dad, 26 fricken yrs old. I refuse to pay rent on a run down shack, hell I'm never at home. All I really do it work, 6 hrs a night at home if that, 7-800 bucks a month rent for a place I'm never at? Screw that.. I'd do it for a house though, and once the car is just a bit further along ( the big stuff out of the way, the 3-4K+ dollar big things ), I intend to start saving for a house.

11. Cox Abele

all good points.

I really don't have the choice of living at home. I left when I was 19 or so and was told I couldn't come back... the 10 hour commute would be a bitch too.

I'm leaning toward the house for a number of reasons aside from your own thoughts. I really don't have anywhere to store it aside from in the apartment parking lot. This also offers no ability to turn a wrench, or at least it's frowned upon when I change my oil (but I do it anyhow). I think once the monthly payments were made, in addition to insurance, I'd be pulling way too much away from what I've allocated to my home savings account.

I really just need something to occupy my time with. Aside from work, I nothing of any usefulness. I think I spent all weekend cleaning (intermittently), surfing the internet, playing video games and drinking beer. Not too bad really, but I've been doing the same damn shit every day since I moved to VA in July. Even riding the bike has become a bit redundant.

12. RI85GT

Owning a house = CONSTANT shit to do...........

13. slowfox

Improved quote :D

14. ronlp

:huh: I thought one flight would do it?

[size=6pt]"oh no he di-int!"[/size]

15. Cox Abele

Story of my life. Just my luck, I buy a ranch house and 6 months down the road she's in the bathroom crying. :doh: fvck.

When I said I have nothing to do... I meant it. :(

Trying to find new hobbies is just as counter productive. The stuff I am remotly interested in always has high start up costs, and usually that's just to try it out... If you like it, the fangs are sunk in the wallet, if you bail on it, you're out the initial investment. Pussy is about the only cheap thrill out there, but it's been so damn long I've forgotten what one looks like.

16. slowfox

The letter would say " Greetings from Me-hico senorita" LOL

17. slowfox

Laptop and a tube sock????? :stroke:

18. Cox Abele

I won't go into details, however the situation is being "handled."

19. RI85GT

Did I read that right :huh:

20. Cox Abele

I think I know where you are going with that, but I was always sure to follow her around for the next few days at the change fell out.