1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

i want a project

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by cam302, Oct 27, 2009.

1. cam302

have a 89 gt that i planed on using but have decided to sell it for a hatch or notch. i original wanted to have a vert as a DD and have a hard top as a weekend car. but i have really found that i need a truck as a dd and am going to get this red 93 lightning that is down the road. i am trying to trade it for my vert. so my question is what should i get a hatch or a notch? i know that i am going to do all the work my self and with help of some friends. so far i am going to paint it ether DSG or sonic blue. it will be a LX to keep it lighter and i just dont like the look of a GT after having one for a year.i also have been wondering what i should use as a drive line. i was thinking about doing a few different set ups. one being a turbo 5.0 with H/C/I and put like 450-500hp but that's just a ticking time boom. so thin i went to looking at geting a after market block like a boss 302 but thats geting kinda pricey. another option is a friend of mine as a 434 i want to say siting in his shop with a big carb and a c4 but i really want to go fuel injected and add boost.and i do want a manual transmission. so i was out at the local meet the other day and was talking to this guy and i started to think that i should do a moulder "SP" 2v or do a 4v but thats a little extrema for my first big project.so what would be a good way to reach my power goal. and still be able to drive it to and from work if i wanted to.oh ya i also am going to go a mix of auto cross and drag racing along with some fun on the way to the track and home lol. so what would be a good set up for all 3.

2. MONTEGOD7SS

351, turbo, TH400, done.

3. cam302

that would be fun but i want a 5 or 6 speed

4. MEAN_SBC

I like the TH400 idea better.... lol

5. 86lxnotch

auto will be better, you still get to shift it with a manual v/b

6. cam302

its not going to be a dd so i want a manual

7. boosted66

huh??? have you ever been in a car with a real built auto? lots of fun
    if you want to go fast put an auto in it with a man. valve body and tb.
    th400's rule

8. 84notch

X2.

C4 would also work for that power level.

9. 10secgoal

Jesus guys, he wants a stick. :doh:

10. MEAN_SBC

Blah... :stupid: ;)

11. Mike SVOR

synchro-less 5 speed?

12. Daddy

A poop stick?

13. Colt

X2!

Sticks are fun, I hate the thought of getting rid of mine. But hell, by the time you figure the cost of buying a manual that will hold power, the clutch setup and all that shit, it aint worth it...

I bought Mean_SBC's TH400 out of his 76, it's going in this winter.. Still not thrilled about going to a auto, but I'm tired of dickin around with the 5 speeds...

But do what ya wanna do, sticks are fun, but I hear the auto's are a blast, even more so with a turbo ( I'll find out next yr )...

14. SprayedSDime

15. RI85GT

I had a heavily built Lentech AOD in my 85 with the novi. It was SOOOO boring. Manual VB will NEVER replace a manual imho.