1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Smaller header tubing blocks exhaust ports. What's worse??

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 96mustang460cid, Aug 2, 2009.

1. 96mustang460cid

Here is a picture of my situation:

[​IMG]#ad

The red line is an exact drawing of my exhaust port. The black lines show the ID of 2.25", 2.125", and 2.00" header tubing. So, should I use the larger tubing so I don't block exhaust flow out of my heads? Or should I intentionally inhibit the flow and work with smaller tubing so the velocity stays high?

This engine is a big displacement BBF (528 - 546 cid) and my long term goal is ~1,500 hp.

For reference:
    2.25" vs. 2.125": 12.9% larger
    2.25" vs. 2.000": 28.5% larger
    2.25" vs. 1.785": 63.9% larger

If more information is needed, just let me know.

Have a good day!
    Michael

2. AlexL

I would never go smaller than the port. Same size or a little bigger is what is required.

3. ltd351

yep, always bigger, a 1mm or 2mm larger dia all around helps prevent reversion, the higher the exhaust to intake PR, the more the reversion becomes a problem.

4. firechicken

Don't block the port.
    Use the size that fits or swedge the smaller pipe to match the proper size header flange.

5. 96mustang460cid

I thought I would come back to this thread and update it. Here is what I ended up doing:

Old flange (at bottom) versus new flange (at top):
    [​IMG]#ad

Cut a single slit in the 1-7/8" tubing:
    [​IMG]#ad

Weld a little. Form the tubing a little. Lather, rinse, repeat...Weld a bead on the inside of the header tube to fill in (like bondo) any surface irregularities.
    [​IMG]#ad

Grind inside smooth:
    [​IMG]#ad

Cut a small "V" shape to fill in the gap:
    [​IMG]#ad

Grind smooth again:
    [​IMG]#ad

Finished product:
    [​IMG]#ad

Have a good day!
    Michael