1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo 1989 LX Build (College Budget) *Dyno/racing vids pg5*

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 85fox, Jul 16, 2009.

1. 85fox

So I have wanted to build a turbo fox since I was 16 but just never could afford for my daily driver to be down for a long period of time nor did I ever have enough money to do a turbo project until now. The opportunity for me to finally build one after waiting for 6 years has finally come. I am on a very tight budget still (being that I am an average broke college kid) but have managed to get some decent parts for very good deals by just searching hard on the internet day and night. Here are a few pictures my car:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. 85fox

Re: Turbo 1989 LX Build (College Budget)

I just ordered a BG CUSTOM TURBO turbo hotside kit last night so hopefully I get that in the next 3 weeks because I cant really do anything until it arrives. I am going to be fabbing up my own coldside piping since I really dont like how the BG CUSTOM TURBO does it. (no offense) Im also going to fab up my own wastegate flange because I want to dump it back into the downpipe.

Here are some pictures of the parts that I have already:

Garrett Gt4082 turbo (.58 cold A/R .94 hot A/R)
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Tial 38mm wastgate

Pro turbo kits intercooler

50mm bov, downpipe, and random pipes

So far I have the following amount of money in the turbo kit: (may help others who are in a tight budget get an idea of cost) Goal is $2500 for everything

Masterpower T70 .96 A/R $600 (new)
    Aeremotive boost reference fuel regulator $80 (new)
    Tial 38mm wastgate $80 (used)
    Intercooler/BOV/downpipe $275 (used)
    42 injectors $160 (used)
    BG CUSTOM TURBO hotside $492 (new)

On my list to get is:

Ais meth
    Wideband
    Boost gauge
    255 fuel pump
    Cold side pipes
    silicon couplers
    misc oil lines, fittings, etc

3. JoshGT87

sexy lookin car :2thumbs:

4. RicerwannaB

Nice lookin fox man, Im pretty much doing the same thing you are, but with a T66. I bought a BG hotside, Same style intercooler but its the cartech unit. What do you plan on using for Engine management? Im going to go with the AEM EMS 30-1400

Good luck on it, and ill be watching this thread. since were pretty much doing the same build. :cheers:

5. 2_slow_5.0

:2thumbs:

Its about time Pete you got off your tight a&$ wallet and started buying things! Looking good for sure.

The car is beautiful as I have seen it in person and definitely one of the cleanest foxes around!

I think I have a few things laying around the house you might be able to use. If I can help ya out you know my number! (no you cant have my motor)

6. 85fox

I think you should give me that motor :chacha:

7. 85fox

Good luck on your build as well :cheers:. Let me know if you post up a builds thread. As far the engine management goes Im just going to use the stock computer and get a tuning shop to burn me a chip.

8. RicerwannaB

yea, Deffinetly. Right now im just gathering everything up. I also got ahold of a Typhoon intake manifold. and possibly some GT40p's. if they will work with my setup. Picking up AEM EMS this month, then all im really going to need is a WG/BOV. im going to pick up one of the package deals off of ebay with the 38mm tial wg and 50mm tial bov. But as soon as it all starts going together ill post up a build thread.

9. 1FastPickup

Just eye-balling that turbo it appears to be a GT4082 not a GT42....I have the same turbo on my build... If that is the case - be aware that this is a T4 international flange and that a regular t4 flange will have to be modified to work on it.

gt4082

gt42

10. 85fox

Thanks man. I pmed you.

11. 1FastPickup

pm back.

here is the compressor map for that turbo.
    [​IMG]#ad

12. AIS

Wow, thats a clean and straight LX. No sag in the front bumper either. Let me know when your ready to kit a meth kit and i'll set you p with a deal.
    Rodney

13. 85fox

Thanks man. I have to order a few more things first then I will def be giving you a call for one of those trunk mount kits.

14. culookn

looks like your starting with a really clean looking car. good luck with the build

15. 85fox

Thanks man! :2thumbs:

16. RicerwannaB

updates?

17. 85fox

Sorry man nothing new with the turbo kit. My rear bumper was hit by a boat trailer so I am dealing with that right now. I just got a new one in and now Im going to get it resprayed. Plus I still waiting on the B&G hotside to come in, so I cant really do much until then. Do you have a builds thread yet? Im going to be interested in how yours comes together

18. RicerwannaB

No, I dont. Wich sucks. I Already have pretty much everything. But i am in the marine corps, stationed in California, and my mustang is at home in michigan. BUt i will be assembling it when i get to go home over christmas leave, And hopefully have it tuned, and ready for when i get out next spring. I still have to do my 5 lug conversion also, And figure out what meth kit i want to go with.

19. 85fox

Ah I see. Yeah it's kind of hard to work on your car when your half way across the country. Well I definitely appreciate all men and women in the military, so keep up the good work. As far as the meth goes I would look strongly into the AIS kits. They seem to be the best out for the money. Keep me updated on the progress on your car and I will be looking for a build thread from you in December man.

20. Jad

Chop chop Pete, get the car over here. The welder is already on lol :welder: