1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Crank End Play -Help MMR

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by stangman9897, May 23, 2009.

1. stangman9897

Got a 98 cobra with a 4.6 built teskid block. Went to install my new twin disk clutch and when pulling the flywheel off I felt the crank move back at least a 1/4" WTF the motor is fresh 300 miles or less. and before you ask my oil pump went out about 100 miles ago and I just put a new pump on not knowing about the crank problem. Could the guy have left out a thrust bearing or what. Needless to say im pissed. What do you guys think :bah: :bah:

2. jmstekguy

thats what it sounds like, wow that suks!

3. one eyed willy

even if it was missing the thrust bearing it would not move around becuase of the lower #5 bearing.have you tried moving it since?

4. stangman9897

I have a Innovators west dampner you can pull it and push it back not real easy,takes a firm pull and wouldn't do this when the clutch and trany was in the car I tried when the oil pump went out.

5. stangman9897

That's all. Nobody else has any imput????

6. 10secgoal

definetely a thrust problem. I've seen them COMPLETELY wiped from converter problems, but not 1/4in.

7. stangman9897

If I drop the pan with motor in the car will I be able to see if thrust bearing is there or not ?

8. 281tt

the only way that could move is if the thrust washers that drop into place before you put the cap on were not installed..but a 1/4 inch is a lot. im not sure what is going on there.. i would pull the motor and not dick with pulling the pan off because its obv you have a serious problem.

9. stangman9897

281TT The reason im droping the pan is to see if the thrust bearing was left out . If that's the case they will pay to pull the motor and refresh the short block not me! Droped the pan last nite but can't get it all the way off with out droping the rack a bit, will later tonite. I can see the rear main cap but can't see if the thrust is there or not ,pan in the way. I guess i will have to drop #5 cap to see if it's there. If it's not someone is in deep shit :bang: :bah: You know that when your pissed an 1/8 looks like 1/4.

10. stangman9897

Well 281TT very very close, I got the pan off and the top thrust bearings were no where to be found,just amazing. The crank ate the back side of the lower bearing off that is why the crank moves so much. It moves 1/8 inch . When i drained the oil i put some in a glass and there was no metal, but when the pan came off the screen on the pickup tube had some good size peices of metal the lower bearing back i guess.I was going to post a few pic's but my lap top won't find my camera when i plug it in WTF do they make jackstand's for lap tops too.

11. stangman9897

I talked to the shop that built the short block and they said if they left the bearing out they would refresh my motor, but i have to pull it. My guy want's 1,500 to pull and put it back in. I think that should be on his dollar not mine. What do you guy's think ,should he have to pay for pulling the motor.???

12. 97tntcobra

i think they should have too pay but getting them to pay is a diffrent story!! :bang:

13. stangman9897

What bearings are you guys running in high hp mod's Clevite or Federal Mogul ? Thought about going with the new Tri coated by Federal.

14. 10secgoal

Did you pay him to pull and install it last time ? Or did you just pay him for the engine ?

15. blown99

I would also check the cam journals in the cylinder heads. Any bit of debris going through the lube system will score the journals right up.

16. stangman9897

Just payed him to freshen the short block after the first oil pump went out . My tunner pulled the motor he just dosn't assemble short blocks in house he sends them out .

17. 10secgoal

If he screwed up, it's up to him to help you or not on the labor for R+R. Most won't. He was only payed to freshen it up. If he he was paid to install, then he'd be responsible for it all.

18. stangman9897

Anybody on the bearings, going to order this week. After the thrust problem should i line hone the mains or not.?

19. 10secgoal

I'd wait to order the bearings. May be damage that will change the bearing size. Plus if they screwed it up, let them pay for it.