1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

B head Intake question?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by JIMS SVT, Feb 24, 2009.

1. JIMS SVT

I just did another intake for my car.The one I have on there now is from my old na setup.The car has gone 8.80's @ 154 with that intake.The runners was cut some and just alot of little things done to it.Just a street intake.The new one has alot shorter runners.i welded a plate in the floor also.let me know what you guys think?Will I pickup up top or dont even mess with it?Thanks

Image026.jpeg #ad

2. 99TTGT

Looks good!
    longer the runners will help the torque ...

3. Excessive Motorsports

Pics of the one that wemt 8.80? I think the one pictured could work good up top. The one on my new setup is similar but still has the stock floor and the runners are more straight cut. I'd try the one in the pic though, worst case you just swap the old one back.

4. JIMS SVT

I dont have any pics of the one on the car now.Ill have to try and find some.But it still has a stock floor and alot longer runners.Just tring to find some more power.Im also switching to Q16 for the track this year from C16.So I guess Ill have to get it on the dyno and test the old intake and new intake on the new gas.

5. yoteehunter

Im not sure I have built several and I got into it with Jim Mohivits (owner of accufab) and he claims that longer runners will make better power. He and abunch of other guys over at modular fords got on my case about my intake ideas. I never had the time or money to test each. I did score a HCI intake the other day and Im going to put that on and say screw it. I think that the biggest thing is the velocity wich those air horns help out allot.

6. Excessive Motorsports

I like the design of the HCI, and I have seen alot of guys say to keep the longer runners as well, but I am just a rebel i guess. The one on my car looks more like the one on the Sean Hyland website and is much shorter than stock. Im not worried about low end loss, but I just want some HP up top. I know the B-heads love RPM but the intake does not with long runners.

Jims Svt what do you shift at with your current intake?

7. JIMS SVT

Right now I shift around 7000 maybe alittle more.Im not worried about low end loss as long as it picks up up top and goes faster.

8. gryphon68

Jim how much do you think you have left in the turbo??

9. JIMS SVT

I can get it to make anymore boost.Im on like 20psi.Thats why Im looking for other ways to make power.Cant figure out why it wont make more boost either.

10. Excessive Motorsports

All I have to say is your car sure is inspiring especially on only 20psi.

11. gryphon68

If you fall off the right hand side of the compressor map it will stop increasing boost.

Anything to improve flow should help marginally, but at the same time you are decreasing restriction, which may drop your pressure ratio.

Can you dig up a compressor map for your turbo? Is it a Garrett piece?

12. JIMS SVT

Its a Precision GTS78 with .96 exh housing

Heres a pic of the intake on the car right now.

psr.jpeg #ad

13. RobR

Years ago i saw Tim Palmer run a 8.20's with his stock B heads,stock intake and cams on his full weight 98 Cobra !! To figure out why it won't make anymore boost try installing a boost gauge on your hot side to datalogg your boost pressure ratio to make sure your within limits of a safe boost pressure ratio ...

14. bags50lx

I know on a buddys car his made more power with your new design over the one on your car now. But his was a blower car. On a turbo car I think you will see a better power curve with the current intake but only time will tell. let us know how it does. A lot of people day to build it for most power n/a then put the turbo on it. I am starting to believe that theory after some testing i have done. I love the tim palmer mention. Every time I hear that name I think of the modular shootout dvd with him saying "its got stock heads,stock cams, use to be my wifes daily driver"

15. JIMS SVT

Well..mines stock heads,cams,modified stock intake.stock bore and stroke too.With a baby 78mm turbo.

16. gryphon68

Jim, I think you've done great going 8.80's with a 78mm, but I think the turbo is basically tapped out.

As an example, Bridge racing tapped out a 94mm at only 25psi on a built 5.4L . . . . these 4V flow a ton of air.

17. Excessive Motorsports

So you think he needs a bigger hotside?

18. gryphon68

probably both. T6 hotside, larger compressor on the cold side. He's already got a 0.96 T4, really makes more sense to move up to a T6 instead of trying to get a fairly uncommon larger T4 housing. The car would probably like a GT47-88

Jim, what about post turbine back-pressure, what type of downpipe, muffler(s), exhaust are you runnng?

19. gryphon68

If the boost was going up but not making any more power then I would say the turbine is too small, too much pre-turbine back-pressure.

That's not the case as I understand it, the turbo won't push any more air, no increase in boost despite changing wastegate signal/spring. Personally I think its gone off the right side of the compressor map. Some turbo's you have to hit 3:1 Pressure ratio (30 psi gage) on the compressor for max airflow. If your engine flows enough air you will never hit that pressure before you drop off the right hand side of the map.

20. gryphon68

Jim, it might make more power if you can spin the motor higher, in that sense the short runner intake is a good idea. It might also want cams and springs. . . . . I would think you need to spin a 4.6 at least 8K rpm. . . . I remember your old dyno graph dropped off at 6250 . . . what ever it takes to move that close to 8K . . . .