1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1999 cobra 4.6 4v s475 s400

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by t70cobra, Oct 8, 2008.

1. t70cobra

030 over Teksid
    Manley forged -23cc pistons
    Manley forged rods
    03 Mach 1 heads (stock cams and valves)
    Comp springs and retainers
    Melling pump w/ billet gears
    Ati super damper

mmr protrans 750
    spec 3+ lpr
    prolite flywheel

Magnafuel pro tuner 750
    Magnafuel efi regulator
    cpr rails
    60lb injectors (I might change these to 72's)
    stock tank with a diy internal baffle system (trap doors, etc)

S475 (t4 0.90a/r)
    Godspeed 4" vertical intercooler
    304 stainless piping, flanges, and turbo support bracket
    JBA shorties (stock configuration)
    4"->3.5" DP
    3.5"-> (2) 2.5" mid pipe
    Bassani ss catback
    pmas 95mm velocity
    Tial 44 wg
    Vortech race bypass
    Hallman mbc
    factory pcm

My goal is 600+rwhp street tune at 18psi on 91 octane, and 700+rwhp kill mode at 22psi on 100 octane. I've searched the site and haven't found many s400 4.6 builds or results so I'm excited to see what happens with this one. The car still has A/C, P/S and the factory swaybar. This should be done in about a month so I'll post dyno results and vids then.

[​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG][​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad

2. 97gtconv.

Re: 1999 cobra 4.6 4v s475

interesting build. i haven't seen many either. looking forward to see what u get done.

3. t70cobra

Everything is done. I'm currently breaking in the clutch and I plan on dyno tuning next week. There is no wg spring installed but the turbo still spools up a little (~1-2psi) and makes a nice whistle. Here's a little teaser clip.

[​IMG]#ad

4. luckythirteen13

sounds great. cant wait to see some vids.

i see your in fullerton, your right down the street from me. im in anaheim. id love to see your car in person some time if possible :cheers:

5. On3performance

Im basically doing the same build on my 99 4v as well and curious what you did with cooling lines. Im just deciding on how to route mine right by the turbo and I see yours looks close and just wanted to see what you did

Cool build

6. t70cobra

Thanks. The cross over pipe to upper radiator and to the thermostat housing was modified using 304 stainless and the factory radiator hoses were cut and reused. Fitment around the compressor housing and turbo inlet is somewhat tight (1/8-1/4 clearance). Also, a -10an bung was welded in on the bottom of the passenger side cross over pipe with braided line running through the lower manifold tunnel and connecting to the back of the driver-side head to a modified heater pipe (diy cooling mod). The thermostat housing was repositioned to clear the downpipe and one additional J-shaped hose was added to reconnect the thermostat housing to the lower hose coming off of the cross over pipe. Fitment is pretty tight, but there is plenty of flexibility in the system and I haven't had any issues. Good luck with the build :cheers:

[​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad

7. 99TTGT

nice!

8. t70cobra

Thanks. Here are some more pictures. I'm getting tuned this tuesday...

[​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad

9. 86lxnotch

sweet cant wait to see the numbers

10. wildcardfox

Clean build. I like it. I Really like it. Congrats. Good luck on the dyno.

11. t70cobra

Thanks. I got tuned today and at 14psi, 11deg timing, a/f around 11:1 and 91 octane I got 576rwhp and 599rwtq SAE. I tried a 100octane tune but had issues with the bypass valve bleeding off boost. I kept turning the boost controller up and it would give me maybe 16-17psi. I eventually turned the controller up till it wouldn't turn anymore and it boosted to 20psi but immediately it dropped off to 18psi and the car lurched when it did. Probably the blast of recirculated air washed out the MAF signal. It was late so we decided to continue at another time. On the final 18-20psi pulls, the torque was around 700 with ~10.5 a/f and 13deg peak torque timing. There is definitely a lot more on the table.

The spool characteristics on the street are similar to the MPT70 0.96, maybe a little more on the laggy side. Still, I'm totally stoked on this turbo and can't wait to do the 100octate tune and hit the track.

I'll post dyno sheets when I get them scanned in.

12. t70cobra

Here's a vid of one of the pulls. Still working on a readable dynosheet.

[​IMG]#ad

13. boostedtorino

AWESOME .... :2thumbs: sounds wicked ... I hope my S400 sounds bout like that lol

14. luckythirteen13

that thing sounds awsome!! time for a boost gauge that goes higher LOL :cheers:

15. vwdave

Why are you running such conservative timing?

16. 6D9

Killer numbers...congrats!

17. t70cobra

Error on the safe side for the lower octane tune. For the higher octane tune we were adding timing in with each pull until the bypass valve issue.

18. t70cobra

I didn't get any SAE dyno graphs, only STD, but I found a picture of the results from the final 91 octane tune in SAE.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad