1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

check out noobies ride... after 2 years it finally lives!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by stangboy86, Jun 18, 2008.

1. stangboy86

hi. my name is pete and i'm a new member and have been an occasional reader here for some time. i want to say thanks to the members here for taking the time to post "trade secrets" that answer so many questions for people like myself. there would be a lot more carnage out there if not for you guys. i live in ny and am an HVAC mechanic as well as a mustang enthusiast. ive recently purchased a cartech single 76mm turbo kit as my first and i think im ready to get my feet wet as a noobie in the turbo world. here is my coupe, if it doesn't sell in the next month or so its probably getting blow through boosted. only catch is i refuse to stop shifting, thats right, im keeping the five speed. all right let me have it!! come on, i know you want to say something. lol :stupid:

2. shoebox1.1

Re: check out noobies ride.

looks good!

3. stangboy86

thanks!! any thoughts on the stick shift+turbo combo

4. xlr8a4d

It will be a hand full and fun as hell !!

5. Hemann

Welcome!

I have a couple of questions.

What is that signature on your firewall?

What is an HVAC mechanic?

I want to see a better pic of that console plate below your gauges.

Nice looking car. I like the attention to detail with the wiring.

What kind of times have you ran?

6. slorob

I like it!

7. stangboy86

thanks!! the signature is the gentleman i purchased the roller from. i bought the car as a roller, no motor transmission wiring and the interior was sitting on the floor next to the car. it had been painted underneath and all the suspension was bolted up. i just didnt want credit for someone else's work.
    H.V.A.C. is heating, ventilation, air conditioning. i started as a a sheet metal fabricator and installer. i also do plumbing and electrical work.
    the console below the gauges was originally a switch panel hence the reason for all the holes. i removed the switches, fuses, and lights from it and wired the car up differently since i was using the car on the street and wanted my nitrous stuff hidden.
    i have only been to the track once with the car and made five passes, 4 on n2o and 1 without. 12.6@110 with 33* total timing and best out of 4 for n2o was 11.88@122 w/1.85 60'.( :chacha: new best as of july 11.63@121 and 12.4@110 with a 1.59 60" woo hoo :chacha:) the track is 90 miles from me which sucks. just to go down make a few runs and come home is a 150 dollar day easy. plus i have to borrow shit to haul it down with.

8. stangboy86

the reason i ask about the 5spd combo is because ive been catching flack about refusing to move to an automatic since i put the car together. i cant help it, i just love to shift.

9. RED92COUPE

What kind of seats are those? Car looks good.

10. stangboy86

thanks!! the seats are old corbeu's. ive had the car since 01 so they are at least that old.

11. slowboat

Really dig the 86 notch. Don't give that car up. My 1st 5.0 was a white 86 notch and I kick myself in the ass to this day for selling that car. Get that turbo kit on and let'er rip. You said you want to keep the 5 speed which I'm a fan of. Is it a t-5 or something better ?

12. stangboy86

i think you're right. i learned so much with this car i think im just going to continue. here is a rundown of my junk:
    rebuilt 87 5.0 block by turcos machine shop(306)
    block was decked and trued
    stock crank
    stock rods shot peened
    stock oil pan
    dss flat top pistons
    balanced rotating assembly including clutch
    heavy duty oil pump and drive
    ultradyne custom grind hyd roller cam properly degreed(284 dur. 525 lift) with brand new roller lifters
    hardened pushrods
    guide plates
    aluminum gt40x turbo swirl heads(3/8" screw in studs but no port work)
    harland sharp stud mount roller rockers
    victor intake
    holley 750
    electric water pump drive
    griffon radiator
    flexalite fan
    compucar nitrous kit(purge, opener, warmer)
    two fuel systems from front to back with all -AN braided hose and fittings(holley blue pumps and seperate regulators)

suspension:full d+d tubular front suspension w/coil overs, k-member,cc plates, full spool, m+e axles, richmond 4:10,c-clip eliminators, ss lift bars, eibach drag springs w/air bag, megabite jr adjustable uppers, torque boxes all re-enforced

although i didnt have the cash at the time for a nice painless wiring kit, i did wire everything up neatly using relays and everything works flawlessly. this car is nicknamed "ol reliable" by my friends cuz this car has given me no trouble at all since the day i put it together. everytime i hit the key it starts and takes me where i want to go. the funny thing is this thing gets over 20mpg highway and even with the 4:10 you can cruise 75-80 no prob @ 2800 3000rpm.

car has been lightened significantly and is well under 3000#
    3" cowl hood
    cervini fiberglass rear decklid (trunk light and electric trunk release both work)
    10 gal cell
    manual brakes
    manual rack
    drilled aluminum front bumper
    custom aluminum front radiator support (nice)
    10 pt cage by wild rides fully welded
    tubular subframe connectors welded in
    91 interior gray and black
    black and gray dash and door panels
    black corbeau race seats (lots of cushion too) expensive seats
    newer black carpet
    newer black rear seat
    newer black headliner with working dome light
    nitrous switches under the aluminum piece in center console

optima battery in trunk
    disconnect switch behind license plate
    msd ignition
    msd centrifugal advance distributor
    two step(wired with linelock using a latching relay to clutch switch which is adjustable)
    phantom guages
    battery charging posts are there if i dont want to use an alternator

tremec 3550
    pro 5.0 shifter
    ram 900 clutch
    aluminum driveshaft
    safety loop

mac 1.75" headers 3" collector
    3"pro chamber
    3" mac cat back with chrome tips
    weld drag lites with hoosier quicktime pro 27x11.5x15 out back and new 195 60 15 up front(5" wide)

13. slowboat

Wow, guess you've got some pretty good time and money in the car. Sounds like a nice combo. Just an fyi your probably better off that you didn't have the cake for a painless harness especially if your capable of doing the wiring yourself. I've seen some pretty crappy stuff come from them and you usually have to go over the kits pretty good to make sure they are up to snuff. Loosely crimped connections and other fun stuff that makes you pull your hair out. Been a while since I've done any of it so it may be better now. Glad to hear you've got a 3550. They hold up to a pretty good amount of power. Stick around here and you'll be putting that turbo kit on for sure. Lots of good guys and lots of help/advice that you couldn't put a price on.

14. stangboy86

wow i would have thought painless would be better. next time i am going to do a wire tuck though, and i want to consolidate a few things to neaten it up. i owned the car for 4 years before i put the motor and transmission in it out of my street car. it didnt look like i was going to fund building a motor for it any time soon and i wanted to go faster so... 89 vert stock rear suspension, k member up front, 306 5spd 3:73 gears 39*total timing 13:7@100 mph 2.2 60', 86 coupe same exact motor/transmission carb etc but a switch to 4:10 gears 33* total timing(still retarded for n2o) 12:6@110 mph. i gained a minimum of 10 mph just by switching bodies i was shocked at how much faster my crappy little combo was in the coupe. and that was only one night at the track for each car. taught me quite a bit. i cant tell you how much resistance i got from my friends during the project. how i was waisting my time and i should just build a stroker motor blah blah blah. well i wanted to experiment. being the fastest was never my goal. and the project worked out for the best and in the end every one of those guys went for a ride with me and said "holy s**t". btw thank you for the compliment

15. pdonk93lx

Very nice car bud. I finally got a slantnose, after 5 other stangs and honestly its quickly becoming my favorite. Plus its my first coupe too. I just put a 5.4 in it, and I love it. I will be throwing a turbo in it over the winter, I just havent decided what I am going to do yet. I am contemplating a pair of t-70's or similar.... Check out the link in my sig. Its good to see someone do all their own work also. I have gone through trades just to be able to build a car from the ground up myself. The next stop for me is engine building. I have put together a few street 302's, but I want to start doing some mod motors and some higher end engines. I do all my own wiring too. I cannot see buying a "painless" kit, they just seem like a pain in the ass to me! But keep up the hard work on that thing and you will have yourself one bad ass ride!

16. 99TTGT

clean car!

17. stangboy86

wow, very nice work and top notch welding on your project. that 5.4 looks like a big block in there. very cool. glad to see others that aren't just content with just throwing money at their car. its nice to see creativity. i too have a fancy for mod motors, but i dont have the dough for one just yet. we'll see what the future brings. until then its baby steps for me. "you gotta learn how to crawl before you learn how to run"

18. 86sspcoupe

I like the car,I am alittle biased though.I am also in same field,mostly commercial refrigeration.

byron1.jpg #ad

byron2.jpg #ad

byron3.jpg #ad

19. onefst86gt

Nice car. Always been a fan of the four eyes! Looks like nice work also putting it together.

20. stangboy86

86ssp nice coupe. i like the silver. looks like you have some control wiring in there. lol. very nice and neat. do you have a close up of that alternator setup. just curious as to how its mounted. you said you were into commercial refrigeration, does that include install or just service? i mostly was an installer for commercial hvac-r and my service skills are mostly residential.
    quick331 thank you for the compliment. next time i put it together its going to be neater yet.