1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Mod Fox: From Turbo Pushrod to Turbo 4v Fox

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ls1killr, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ls1killr

I figured I would go ahead and start a thread on my build that has just recently started. I am always searching for new idea's for my car and end up changing things fairly often. Last season I built my coupe with an assortment of goodies including a DART based 363ci engine, with a custom turbo kit, Lentech AOD, FAST XFI ect...

The combo was good for low 10's @ 137 on 13psi and 17" drag radials and on 18psi it went 6.10@117 in th 1/8th mile(approx 9.50's@145).

In the past couple of years I have owned a 3 '03 cobras and always loved the power potential the engines had. The only thing always bugged me about them was the weight. So I figured I why not put an 03 cobra motor in the coupe However instead of going with a roots style blower, I am going to be building a turbo kit for it.

This is my first time ever putting together a modular setup and I have been using modular fords to help with figuring everything out. I have been selling the parts from my previous setup so I can purchase new parts for the build.

Here is the list of goodies the car will be getting
    VT 302 Shortblock
    04 cobra heads(Titan Head gaskets, arp studs, stock cams)
    01 cobra intake
    83# injectors
    Custom Built turbo kit w/ Precision T74 GTS .81 ar
    Cobra t-56 w/ all the goodies(spec 5 clutch, 26 spline input, etc)
    FAST XFI w/ MSD Dis-4

I think that is pretty much everything all of the big parts. Since the car is not driven much I will be running with Flaming River Rack, Manual Brakes, No a/c and Electric water pump. With the previous setup the car weighed in at about 2900lbs, so hopefully the new setup should be about the same.

The goal with the setup is to be street friendly and reliable. I am shooting for somewhere in the 700hp range and think with the .81 exhaust housing the spool should be fairly quick without running out of steam up top.

I will be posting pictures as the build progress, so far the only things I have had a chance to do is swap out the K-member with an AJE unit, install the flaming river rack and run the harness for the FAST.

Here is a couple pictures from the previous combo.

Jeremy

newest engine shot.JPG #ad

jeremys coupe cropped.jpg #ad

2. ls1killr

Well I haven't really set in expectations about how I want it to perform. At this point the main goal is just to get the car running and take it from there. I definitely see no reason the car shouldnt make in the mid 700's with race gas, but we will wait and see.

I snapped some pictures of some of the parts that I have going in.

100_2771.JPG #ad

100_2772.JPG #ad

100_2775.JPG #ad

100_2777.JPG #ad

3. ls1killr

Here is a couple more pictures of the parts going on.

100_2773.JPG #ad

100_2774.JPG #ad

1917112555.jpg #ad

4. ls1killr

A little more progress

1.jpg #ad

2.jpg #ad

3.jpg #ad

4.jpg #ad

5. vader_turbo

:bow: Wow that was quick, loving the mod motor foxes. :2thumbs:

6. ls1killr

Engine In and Assembled..

5.jpg #ad

6.jpg #ad

7.jpg #ad

7. ls1killr

While I was at it I went ahead and re carpeted the trunk and painted/relocated the battery box

8.jpg #ad

8. ls1killr

That brings me to where I am today.....

I just got the headers and x-over in from Mike and turbocharged innovation and plan to get it mocked up tonight and snap some more pictures...

Hope to have this thing runnin in a couple weeks if all goes well...

9.jpg #ad

10.jpg #ad

9. xlr8a4d

You always have a cool project going on ! This one is bad ass as always,looking forward to progress pics.

10. ls1killr

Well finally got a good weekend to work on the car.

I still have a couple minor issues that I should be able to get resolved soon, but made a lot of progress.

Things I got done

-Clearance Sway bar mounts for header fitment
    -Installed headers and mocked up X-over
    -Got the intercooler mounted where it needed to be
    -Clearance the Flamming River Shaft to Clear header tube
    -Mounted Clutch Cable to frame fail
    -Cut and mocked up cold side piping

Things Left to do
    -Get X-over and Cold Side Welded, Painted and Wrapped
    -Fab up downpipe and exhaust
    -Finish Wiring FAST
    -Install Wastegate and BOV
    -Cut Down Driveshaft

Here are some pictures I snapped showing the progress. Idealistically I would like to have this all completed and running by Begining of May.

11. BringIt10s

Wow that is Sick

I like your decision to go MOD but what made up your decision?

I'm doing a Mod in a 94.. its almost as difficult as a fox, haha

12. 92coupe

Nice work, the car looks MINT. That is an awesome build you are doing, keep the pics coming!

13. ls1killr

Thanks for the compliments

I should have some more pictures this weekend once I get the x-over pipe back from Magicbus. We ran into some clearance issues with the wastegate flange so he is fixing it for me. After that the only fun thing left to do is snake a 3.5" downpipe through the k-member.

14. jmstekguy

looks nice!, your lucky its only a 3.5" you have to deal with, lol

15. ls1killr

Hopefully the 3.5" downpipe will not be to bad...I got an idea of how I want to route it, just need to get the sawzall out and go to work :D

Looks like the X-over will not be back til monday, so I will probably finish painting and installing the cold side this weekend as well as finish wiring the Fast, Fan and Water pump.

I will post some new pictures this weekend Once I get more accomplished.

Jeremy

16. jdsbusa

Dang man, you brothers have been busy the past month or so. The setup is looking great.

17. ls1killr

Finally made some progress this weekend....

Ended up having to modify the x-over to get it to fit correctly, but I think it turned out well. I got headers bolted down completely, x-over pipe installed and the 3.5" downpipe/exhaust complete. I also got all my cold side completed and installed all my vaccum lines.....All I really lack now is getting the driveshaft cut down, install the 3.73 gears and install the exhaust.

Here are some pictures I snapped last night of the progress...Clearance between the fan and the turbo are pretty tight, but hopefully I can get a turbo blanket to fit in there.

100_3056.JPG #ad

100_3057.JPG #ad

100_3058.JPG #ad

100_3059.JPG #ad

100_3060.JPG #ad

18. sccapri

Looks good, and looking forward to seeing some # on the setup.

19. DC91GT

You were using the Lentech. What was the rationale behind switching to a T56 on this setup?

20. jmstekguy

where did you get that tbody coupler????