1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

how a v6 guy survives in a v8 world...

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Boosted Thrills, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Boosted Thrills

aftermarket parts support sucks

we virtually have nothing for heads. we got vortecs and the next step is 18 degree bowties

same with intakes, its basically stock or nothing. back in '03 i bought a edelbrock 2114 manifold as soon as they were released i took it out of the box and bolted it to the bridgeport to modify for MPFI

[​IMG]#ad
    i toped it off with a 1000cfm 4bbl throttle body and called it good. the runners look like shit and i know its leaving power on the table.

i ran it '03 and '04 N/A '05 i coulnt stand it anymore and had to make up a powerdyne blower setup. had less than a grand in the blower stuff including the 48# injectors. it got the job done for a while and got me best ET of 12.6 and best trap speed of 112MPH. i sheraded alot of belts during '05 and '06.

[​IMG]#ad

late '06 i started collecting turbo parts and doing my homework and by late summer '07 i had a running turbo truck.

[​IMG]#ad

at the same boost level as the blower its a hell of alot faster on the street. still working on the tune, its now close enough to make a couple passes to get the fueling nailed down

now i started hating the intake even more. i just am not happy with the looks

i really like the looks of the holley stealthram but its not available for the 4.3L..... until now :D

[​IMG]#ad

yep thats right i took another brand new intake and cut it all up

milling it to final dimension. yep i cut the block in half with the sawzall too
    [​IMG]#ad

sofar so good
    [​IMG]#ad

dont need those extra holes
    [​IMG]#ad

ready to go to the machineshop for resurfacing
    [​IMG]#ad

just for fun.... BTW the funny looking intake on the right is(well designed for) for the SBC with magnison blower
    [​IMG]#ad

yep, you guessed it, i cut that one too LOL
    [​IMG]#ad

more pics of the stealthram here
    http://s-seriesforum.com/gallery/album407

more of the magnison intake herehttp://s-seriesforum.com/gallery/album413

now if i could only do this with cylinder heads :angel:

thanks for following along,
    mike

2. flynbrian

Freakin sweet DUDE! Love it! Thats some serious thought and lots of machining!

3. Anthony Fury

This is awesome! Good idea and good execution. Can't wait to see it finished. :2thumbs:

4. thesled

actually the heads have been done :) hekimian racing engines took a set of splayed valve heads and chopped them down. for a 4.3L

also there are aftermarket heads Brodix does offer a pair for 1600 bucks. there just no intakes.....unless you find a daytona dash style (non open box plenum)

but the stealth ram is cool i may have to try this for fun one day :)

5. 5.0 clunker

6. noturbo82

That is great!! That takes a LOT of work to do, if there was a market for them you might be able to make some decent coin doing that.

hmmmm, looks like you already tried........

[​IMG]#ad

In all seriousness I do know of one instance where someone cut up 3 DOHC 4v nissan 4cyl heads and BOLTED them together to make a DOHC 4v head for an early nissan L6 that was originally SOHC 2v, he's at ~600rwhp with it on a twin turbo setup.

7. turbo-six

link? i would like to see that. you can get splayed valve heads for GM 90 degree v6's in mainy different formats though if you look hard enojugh. i have a set of bowtie's for my current project. brodix sells a head that will work with stock intakes too

sounds like we might end up with similar setups mike. good luck, my project will be my last venture into v6's. 10's or bust :D

8. thesled

for 4.3L splayed heads they are seriously big bucks like min 4 grand a pair casting's used.......

9. turbo-six

WOW! i have seen them go for much cheaper than that! either way still to much money, the pricyness of good parts and the serious lack of availibilty of those parts makes it tough for us v6 guys...

10. thesled

ever seen what a billet crank cost's

11. plucas

Looks awesome :eek:

12. Drac0nic

Brodix makes -8 and -10 heads for the 4.3L, they have em up on their web site. Probably still a bankey proposition though. Freakin AWESOME job on the intake.

13. SScrawn

Your intake is art.

Great job!!!

14. tirefryin_s10

can you give us eager reader's some info on the set up.... (engine internal's, camshaft,engine managment etc.) - Intake looks awesome great job-neil

15. turbo-six

i've seen what just about anything exotic costs for the 4.3. and since the bowtie stuff is discontinued its only going to get worse

oddfire billet cranks are affordable, but even fire billet cranks are a fortune

16. ty1295

Nice job on that intake.

You do know changing intakes does nothing for traction though right? Your working on the wrong end of the truck.

17. vwdave

I love it. Thats all.

18. Pyrotechnic

Awesome fabrication work! :2thumbs:

19. hellbents10

Did you run into the absolute limit of the 2114 with a boosted motor??? Or is this just for shits and grins? Looks really cool.

20. Boosted Thrills

only tens huh, vortecs woulda got you there. id like to see a 9.99 but i feel mid 10s at 125mph are a little more realistic

ya the even fire ones are 3K. of course you dont want to put one in a stock block so buy a bowtie block oops another 2K. at that point simple eagle H-beams wouldnt be enough so you get something better like callies. now you got a badass bottom end do you really wanna top it off vortecs? nope, add 18* bowties for another 3K what about an intake? gotta go with a hogan sheetmetal one +$2500. it never ends

sure can, its a REAL simple combo that has worked great so far. inface the bottom end has seen quite a bit of abuse. it was orininaly but with crappy TBI heads and a whipple blower. since then its been run N/A, with a blower and now turbo. only thing it hasent seen is nitrous, i do have a kit sitting on my room. ill break it out if needbe

its a factory block. 4.030 bore, 2 bolt mains :eek:
    factory crank turned .010/.010
    factory rods that have been shotpeaned and ARP bolts
    8.5:1 wiseco pistons
    camshaft is a comp cams off the shelf grind 215/220 at .050 .533/.544 lift 114LSA 1.6 rollertip rockers
    vortec heads, stock valves, VERY mild porting, stock entrance opening

60mm turbo, .96 a/r p-trim turbine, factory sy/ty exhaust manifolds, A2A, full 3.5" exhaust from the turbine to the rollpan

t56 transmission, 3.42 rear gear. 1400 rpm on the highway :D

i see 7 psi by 2300rpm in 4th gear. thats running off the 7psi wasegate spring. no other boost controler yet

so should i make up for it and mount the boost controler in the bed?

AWD is heavy, besides last time i was at the track, first time with the QA1 stuff. i had the shock settings backwards, i was on full firm :bang: nowonder th efront didnt lift at all. im 2 clicks from full loose now, comes up nice

damn i thought you fell off the face of the earth

you know as well as i do the 2114 would have taken me further. bottom line is i HATE the way it looks. aslo with the V6 to make power afordably you need to maximize the efficiency. turning the boost up for more airflow isnt always the best idea ;)

thanks for the props guys. ive just seen so much good good looking stuff on here i had to quite hiding and post up my junk

here is i video of the 12.6 blower pass http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/vidios/Boosted_Thrills_12_63_104.wmv

too bad i couldnt get the bog tuned out of it on the clutch dump. the 110 and 112 traps woulds been in the high 11s