1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

f100 rear mount, driveway build.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ask52, Feb 1, 2014.

1. ask52

61 Ford F100 Unibody, LQ4 Twin Holsets

Hey guys, this is my current project, just a for fun build to cruise around. swapped in an 04 crown vic chassis last year. motor is all stock 4.6 2v pi. just getting going on the bed mount turbo set up. Made a post in the tuning section as Im not sure what to use for management.

anyway here is some pics of the build so far.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. Blackbeard

Awesome work! That's gonna be a great truck, but that downpipe would look so much better coming out of a bedside cutout, no offense I just don't like the current exit, but other than that I love it!

3. 92LX-5.8

I use megasquirt 2 for mangment. Great truck i love f100's.

4. ask52

lol ya it probably wouldn't make it more then 10min on the road before getting a vi!

the pipe is actually a y pipe, the plan is to have mufflers to keep it quite, then the have a Cut out valve to open up the mini stack. Just left the up right pipe the full length of the pipe I had, will have to cut it to put the valve in, then probably make it only 4-6" high. A traffic cop lives right on the end of my street, have to keep it civil.

92 lx. Hmm, never looked into mega squirt before. Just did a quick serch and I think that may just be the way to go. If I could get it back up and running for around $500 + tuning would be happy with it. I know a guy that would buy the stock harness and ecu out of this truck.

5. mustang-junky

Cool build. Subscribing.

Jess

6. TTF/Ken Staff Member

What year is that unibody? I can't tell (no front end photo). My favorite Effies are the 53-56 and 61-66. :)

7. 92LX-5.8

I use the squirt to control edis 8 but it will also do coil packs. I built mine myself and tune myself and if you do it that way you can easily come in under $500.

8. ask52

its a 61 short bed, hmmmm after doing some more reading reading on the mega squirt, think im going to just get started on the 5.3. I dont want to run the stock ecu for the auto trans, plus I'd like to start with a running tuned motor and adjust it from there. I've got a 4l60e trans but its 4wd. going to look into either selling it and buying a 2wd trans or seeing if a guy can find a tail shaft & housing to swap on.

Did a bit of work to it today, cut off the mufflers and plumbed in the exhaust to the turbo. also mounted the oil tank, just need to finish the pump bracket then start plumbing lines.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. jfive

I like F100s too! Might need a bigger turbo though. I bet that spools instantly.

10. pavementpounder

Looking great

11. pavementpounder

Tell us more about the oiling system and cooling.

12. Xpress

Nice build.

I have a 1965 F100 with a mid mount right behind the cab. Lots of fun to drive.

13. ask52

^ Sweet! do you have a build thread/pics?

I had Rigged up a test stand figure out the oiling system. Using a walbro 255lph pump & toyota oil cooler. The plan is to regulate the pressure with a ball valve, while cooling the oil through the cooler on the return side. The goal was 30psi with out straining the pump.

Seems to work good, run it for a few hours with out issue. doesn't take much restriction to hit 30psi, with the cooler bypass shut off its just over 80psi but I doubt the pump would last long at that rate. with no restriction its around 8-10psi. It will be interesting to see what happens to the pressure once the oil gets warm, may have to set it higher so once its up to temp the pressure will drop down to 30psi.

Anyone know what the min oil pressure would be on a journal bearing turbo? The turbo sled guys are only running 7-10psi on there ball bearing set up's. The side to side play play is almost gone @ 10psi, once it its just over 20 its rock solid.

here's some pics of the test setup

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. jfive

15. Xpress

I always meant to do a build thread, just never got it done. The turbos on this truck started with with 2 To4e's mounted below the bed feeding the stock 352 F.E. with 190000 miles on it, needless to say it didn't survive real long, Next came a all steel/forged 383 sbc with the same 2 turbos mounted under the hood. Now it has 1 Holset Htb3 mounted in the box right behind the cab. That big *old* turbo is a little laggy, but still the best combo Iv'e run on this truck. It's great fun. I'll post a couple pictures tomorrow.

16. M&M Turbochargers

17. pavementpounder

@ Ask52,
    You sure the Walbro fuelpump will last with hot oil pumping around ?
    Normally the fuelpump is cooled by the cool fuel.

18. Xpress

19. Forcefed86

These are the pressure requirements for a 54-60mm holset turbo. Probably very similar.

Good luck, looks fun!

:cheers:

20. Mnlx

We run stand alone on our sleds with journal bearing turbos, and have tried a couple setups. We have run with a fpr to control pressure which has worked the best, but have also tried using a nitrous jet, and a "t" to bleed some oil. With the fpr we could set it for 35-40 psi, and it was solid, and done. With the bleed, we needed almost 50psi to maintain 30psi with a little heat. This is with syn 10/30, and a race only setup that didn't run for more than a couple mins at a time, and about a 1.5 qt oil tank.