1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Updated Turbo Sleeper (updated 11-14-11!!!!)

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by dizuster, Jul 24, 2011.

1. dizuster

We'll it's been a bit, but I'm finally getting going on this thing again. Mr. P-body has helped me out a TON with the fab work. Got the turbo mounted, and all of the hotside done in the last few weeks. Waiting on parts to build the down pipe (5" outlet, down to 4" out the back), and then he'll finish fabbing up the waste gate stuff. Then on to the rollbar, and it can get plumbed and wired.

Short block is ready to assemble (machine work done, rings filed, etc...) So I may do that this week while the car is off at Mr. P-body's.

Getting closer. Maybe it'll see the street this year... we'll see.

2011-07-24_10-24-56_145.jpg #ad

2011-07-24_10-22-26_445.jpg #ad

2011-07-24_10-23-32_740.jpg #ad

2011-07-24_10-41-34_504.jpg #ad

2011-07-24_10-41-03_434.jpg #ad

2. Alikazam

Re: Updated Turbo Sleeper

Looks good, looking forward to more progress :)

3. mopargte

nice! looks great so far. specs on engine, turbo etc availible anywhere?

4. dizuster

360" cast crank, stock rods (with ARP bolts), Probe SRS pistons, stainless top rings, ported iron heads with inconel ex. valves, hydraulic roller cam (mid 220'[email protected]", on a 114lsa, ~.500" lift) . Stock 1/2 filled block. 9.3:1 non-intercooled on E85 blowthrough.

BW S475 (75mm, 1.32 A/R, Ie... the cheap one).

Hoping to make 600RWHP.... without breaking anything... :D

5. gremlin

If you don't kill'em with ugly, you will spank'em with your sleeper. I love that car. :2thumbs: I'm guessing you are gonna have some fun in that thing. Auto or stick?

6. dizuster

That is the plan... ;)

It's got an automatic.... but reverse full manual valvebody, still using the '62 Pushbutton shifter... :2thumbs:

7. rdakota340

Those are cheap numbers your wanting there,I believe there will be more on the plate,Nice build.

8. Shaker223

Cool car...that's the best part of the build!! :2thumbs:

9. Nice Chevelle

Love your project and the sleeper aspect !
    My observations:
    You mentioned using an intercooler. Why is the turbo positioned where it is with the compressor outlet pointed to the carb?
    Are you going to rotate the compressor outlet differently?
    If you leave it the way it is (and not use an intercooler), there may not be enough room to fit the BOV before the carb hat.
    And your probably gonna keep a low profile hood on there so are you using that intake?
    I know some people have had air/fuel distribution issues with dual plane intakes. Spacer under the carb might help some but you may loose hood clearance.

Just trying to help....

PS- I am using the same BW turbo...yea its cheap but they are known for making alot of power!
    :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

10. dizuster

The more I read, the more I think you're right. I just don't know how strong the stock rods are... that's what worries me, so I'm trying to take it easy. I'm hoping it'll do it at lower boost levels 10~12psi maybe? We'll see I guess...

It's non-intercooled. I'm just relying on the E85, and hopefully the power goals are low enough it wont need a bunch of boost (ie heat) to make it there.

The distance between the outlet and carb hat is pretty short. The BOV can squeeze in there, and if it can't then maybe I can put it directly off the hat? I think there is enough room though.

That is not the intake I'm using. It's just there for mock up. I have an old low profile single plane Torquer 340 that I'm using. And even with this intake, I have 5 1/2" between the top of the carb and the hood, so the 4" C&S hat should fit easily.

Thanks for the comments guys... I'll keep you posted.

11. dizuster

Re: Updated Turbo Sleeper (updated 8-23-11)

Well my buddy got some more done on the project. The WG I had was machined wrong so I had to wait for the replacement. Got it this week, so I ran out to his house to see how he's coming. He got the WG bypass all done. We ended up making a bypass from each bank into one single WG. I just didn't have enough room at the merge to get a good approach angle for a single feed to the WG. It came out pretty slick. The drivers side WG bypass goes around the main hotside merge, and connects with the Pass WG bypass to merge at the WG...

The turbo is REALLY close to the carb hat. I'm going to end up having to put the BOV directly in the hat itself... Just no room to put it anywhere else. Probably not ideal for flow, but i don't think it'll kill it too much.

Now we just need to finish up the WG piping, get the exhaust run down through the torsion bar and to the bumper, and it can come home... (oh and do the roll bar, but that should be pretty easy...)

All came out pretty good...

2011-08-13_11-04-41_705.jpg #ad

2011-08-13_11-04-57_124.jpg #ad

2011-08-13_11-05-08_401.jpg #ad

2011-08-13_11-05-32_385.jpg #ad

2011-08-13_11-05-48_894.jpg #ad

12. Nice Chevelle

Looks like I was right about not enough room for the bov. That carb hat is engineered for max airflow....if you punch a hole in the side or back it will change the airflow characteristcs. If your not concerned then have at it. I would of positioned the turbo farther away from the hat inlet just as alot of other builders have done.
    Keep the progress going.... :2thumbs:

13. dizuster

Well there were a few issues with that. I wanted to get everything packaged as tight as possible because it isn't exactly in the prettiest car in the world. I wanted to make sure that everything was built as tight as possible so if I wanted to put it all in my Duster, then most of it would fit.

The other thing is that early B-bodies dont' have a ton of room front to back, so as it is, I already had to put a pusher fan on it to put the turbo between the motor and the radiator. There just isn't a lot of room on these cars fore/aft.

In hindsight, I'm not sure if I would have even changed it. There wasn't enough room to really do anything much different other then offsetting the turbo a bunch and feeding the carb hat in 90 degree's.

This isn't a max effort deal by any means, so I'm not too worried about it. Hell they port cylinder heads into the rocker attachment bolt holes all the time, so I can't imagine the hole will impead the flow all that much. As long as it doesn't screw up the A/F distribution to each cylinder, I'll be ok.

14. Mad Dart

Nice work. Are you going to mount your alternator on the opposite side? Guys are having good success with meth injection. If it were me I would squirt some in the air inlet before the compressor since you have a straight shot into the hat.

15. Mad Dart

A friend of mine made over 900RWHP with a stock bottom end 340, no ARP anything & no Fill using W2 Heads with twin 60mm Turbo's, It never broke. You are pretty safe with 600RWHP, Mopars are alot stronger than a Chevy! :D

16. Turbofox89

Would you really need a BOV with the carb? I know with EFI and Automatics there isn't to much of a need for one. I'm currently running an S480 (Intercooled) without a BOV and a few others that I know are also not running a BOV without issues.. Might at least be a thought, but i'm not sure if a carb would like it or not compared to EFI.

17. jridenour31

Re: Re: Updated Turbo Sleeper (updated 8-23-11)

And it doesn't surge like crazy when you lift?

18. Turbofox89

It surges a little bit. But I haven't seen it actually hurt anything. Biggest thing is i'm not running 30psi either. 20 would be tops, and 98% of the time it'll be 15psi or lower. so even it surging it really isn't making much more pressure in the system. And with the auto it dosn't matter inbetween shifts like a manual would. I'm sure if your running 25psi+ then it would be something worth while having, but for the (little) bosst a lot of people run i'm not sure if it's really needed. I also have the anti-surge housing which helps out a bit with that as well, and helps with making the turbo a little better all around. At least with how this borg warner is constructed.. I'm not to worried about it hurting anything. :D

I'm not sure how many other people on the board are not runnign a BOv though, I was hoping some others would chime in as well on the BOV situation.

19. jridenour31

Gotcha, I wasn't doubting you, just curious. I wonder how big of a difference the anti-surge housing makes without a bov?

20. Turbofox89

That I'm not really sure about either. It would be neat to see a side by side comparison with the same turbo, just the 2 cover types.