1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2007 f150, 4.6L remote mount t70 (VIDEO ADDED 8/14/11)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by luckythirteen13, Jan 15, 2011.

1. luckythirteen13

its been a while since ive done a build thread so i thought id post some pics. i know how everyone likes builds that are a little out of the box and i think this may qualify.

The truck:
    2007 f150 crewcab with a 4.6L motor, 9" lift and 37" tires. its my daily driver, junk hauler and trailer tower all in one. mods so far are a cai, tuner, efans, headers, UD pulleys and catback. other then that its totally stock. obviously the tuner will be loaded with custom tunes, the cai will have to go and some of the catback (the muffler) will have to go. going to do a vb upgrade on the transmission just to help it survive a little better although the hp goal is really low so the transmission in stock form would be enough.

the specs:
    t70 t4 turbo with .68 ar. 38mm tial wg, ebay BOV, ebay intercooler, 39# injectors, stock fuel pump with kb boost a pump. the spring i have is rated to 7.2psi, which will easily get me to 375rwhp, a number i think will make the truck a lot more fun to drive while still being reliable

[​IMG]#ad

and yes, the mustang in the pic is turboed too :chacha:

this is the pipe that makes the transition from stock exhaust to turbo
    [​IMG]#ad

here is the mock up to see if my measurements were correct and the turbo wouldnt hit anything
    [​IMG]#ad

and here is what it looks like after mock up is done. my fiance was in a rush to go to the movies so i pulled all the mock up out before i could take a pic so here is a pic of it on the ground
    [​IMG]#ad

i did the finish welding on the pipe that feeds the turbo but the after turbo piping is still waiting. progress will be slow since i work 40 hours a week but the goal is to post some progress every weekend.

2. revn351

Re: 2007 f150, 4.6L remote mount t70

Hell yeah I want to see this done. I would love to do the same to mine. What are going to do about oiling the turbo?

3. luckythirteen13

i got some good advice on which pump to use from the guys on this forum. i just ordered it tonight. the plan is to run .25" from motor to turbo, .5" line from the turbo to the pump and 3/8" from the pump to the motor

4. denmah

:2thumbs:

looks familiar!
    [​IMG]#ad

this pump works great, turbowerx smaller duty pump got it for like 220 shipped off ebay

2500+ miles on our turbo truck, parker push lock fittings on the return into the stock oil fill cap.

works like a dream

[​IMG]#ad

5. luckythirteen13

i wonder why :stupid: LOL really appreciate the help man!

6. 331StrokerStang

Looking good man! Should make a sick bogger!

7. luckythirteen13

not really a major update but finished all the welding on the turbo kit. here is a pic of the last piece fully welded. yes the welds are ugly but they are air tight and thats all that matters
    [​IMG]#ad

39# injectors came in the mail
    [​IMG]#ad

also ordered the oil pump last night

8. 88stangbanger

hey looks good so far, im the guy from the corral that was asking about a build like this on my truck. looks good so far. make sure you take lots of pics i can look at when i start mine.

9. Turbo Terror

This is exactly what I am planning on doing with mine with a few differences. Mine is an 04 with the 3v 5.4. I was planning on doing a 76mm at about 8psi. I like the location you picked for the turbo, I may end up putting mine there. With the exhaust I was planning on utilizing a magnaflow muffler after the turbo along with high flow cats. To avoid the back pressure issues I would also have a 60mm wastegate to bypass the cats and muffles so it would remain quite and appear stock until 3 or 4 psi.
    What are you going to be doing about an intercooler if you are using one? I was planning on skipping out on one for the first part of my build because it is such a low number that I am looking for and I want to minimize the cold side piping.

10. watahyahknow

i trying to make a chevy pickup with a turboed big block burning propane , i was planning on taking out the stock gastanks and mount the turbo;s close to the rear of the cab under the bed , should give the shortest distance of exaust untill the turbine and make the oiling and other stuff eazier too , was thinking bout water to air intercoolers too mounted under the raize in the cabfloor where the tanks are located normally ,
    the wait is on some workspace and finances in general

11. 88stangbanger

thats a good idea on the air to water intercooler. but to keep it simple and cheap i was thinking just a small air to air intercooler with a puller fan on the top side mounted along the frame rail.( i dont mud my truck and its lowered with 22s on it)

12. Attatoy

propane......means no iintercooler needed....the gas is cold as it comes out so it cools the intake charge! should werk awsome unter 10 psi!

13. watahyahknow

not quite treu on the propane bit , the bad thing about propane is that the octane rating goes down steeply when the intake charge gets hot

14. chromeyellow

What about water injection? With a truck you have a lot of room to mount a large reservoir.

15. watahyahknow

i could but i think with the turbos mounted away from the hot enginebay sucking in cool air and the intercoolers waterinjection whont do a lot more , just another part to break down

16. luckythirteen13

i wasnt going to run an intercooler but when i got a deal from a guy on the turbo, wg, bov, ic and ic piping, i couldnt pass it up. and the more i think about it, the happier i am that im running one for a couple reasons. my hp goal is low because the truck is my daily driver. with an ic, the cooler temps will allow for more power without adding timing. also, i plan to move to vegas this year, where it gets really hot and im hoping the cooler will keep boost temps from getting out of control when the air being sucked in is already over 100*. my ic is in the mail, so hopefully if it comes before the weekend, ill have some new pics to post

17. 88stangbanger

i live in NJ where its been30* or colder for the past 3 mounths. it gets warm in the summer but for only a few days at a time. on avarage its 70* out

18. watahyahknow

more power means more heat from the engine too , most of the time an efficient fan is enough but sumtimes you need a bigger radiator to keep the enginetemperature down as well

19. luckythirteen13

new toys came in the mail!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

hope to have the ic installed saterday. did some mock up on it tonight but it was too dark to take pics, sorry

20. watahyahknow

cool i was thinking about the long chargepipe to the front , you might be able to use exausthangers and rubbers to suspend it under the chassis so it whon't rattle , you might even be able to get the chargepipe to the intercooler made in mostly one piece at a exaustshop with a good bender (not the wrinklebender kind ) a sheetmetal shop or a plumbershop might be able to roll the raised edge on the ends so the hose dont slip off