1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'70 Cadillac update video

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by sean, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sean

Been a long time since I've had anything to post about. Had the turbo car on jack stands thing going on forever. Finally got the '70 Cadillac back into the sunlight today for the initial start-up. Surprised it didn't burst into flames when the sun hit it :D

Old timers might remember this car. It dipped into the 10's several years ago. Took it apart and made several changes to it since then. Moved the engine back about 12", tube front with home brew A-arm suspension, mini tubbed the rear, mid mounted the turbo, fiberglass hood and bumper etc, etc. Same drivetrain as before, 500 Cadillac, PT90 turbo, CSU carb, EV hat, intercooled, TH400.

Still have tons of stuff to finish. Just happy to get it running again.

click on pic for video
    [​IMG]#ad

farm likes this.
  2. nealysa

Holy cow, that is awesome! More pics please. :chacha:

3. Blownbird68

Man you got one badazz ride! :bow:

4. amnima

Nice!!!!

5. 88MMrocket

:bow: lovinit!

6. Chris91LX

That's badass! Subscribing :2thumbs:

7. sean

Thanks, it isn't that nice in person, pretty rough body, not much rust, just lumpy and needs a repaint. The fab work is all backyard home brew stuff, so no show car. Haven't decided on wheel color yet, hence the 4 different color wheels.

Car started as a burned out mess from the scrap yard, took two cars to make one. It ran mid 13's like this, NA engine.

[​IMG]#ad

Had a low buck paint job and cowl hood put on
    [​IMG]#ad

Making a pass, turbo charged at this time
    [​IMG]#ad

How it ran at the Maxton Mile. The last time it was raced at all

[​IMG]#ad

8. patl

Bad....
    You going back to Maxton in the future. Just about 12 miles from me, love to see it. :2thumbs:

9. sean

Hope to run at Maxton next year. Have to buy lots of safety stuff to run again. Borrowed most of the gear last time.

10. patl

Cool!!

11. Slim

That caddy is one of the coolest project cars I've seen in a while. Nice job all around. :2thumbs:

12. nealysa

How did you do at Maxton?

13. sean

Thanks fellas.

Never ran to full potential at Maxton. (Ricer excuses coming next :D ) Car only teched to 150mph at that time. Ran 161.44mph with low boost and partial throttle for most of the pass. The MPH put me out of running anymore. Should tech to 200mph when it is done. Probably never get that fast.

14. Tims86-9.80

That is sick, way sick. Very cool, and looks like your have a ton of fun with that project. Awsome.

15. tbird

Bad ass car. Looks like evil.

16. HAULIN IT

COOL! It's nice to see something a little different! Lorne

17. 70 bird

That looks cool as heck! :rock:

18. sean

Thanks gentlemen. Drove it some today. Have some minor problems to sort out as expected. Making progress a little at a time. Weighed it today. Its still a heavy ass pig at 4100lbs. But the weight bias is almost 50/50 now.

Doing what needs to be done to drive and get it to the track this year. Lumpy body , mismatched wheels, and partial interior be damned :D

[​IMG]#ad

19. sean

Well, its been a while. The car fought with me all last fall. Made it to the track a few times and managed some low 11's at 135mph, but it just wasn't working right. Had erratic tune issues, AFR's jumping around, misfiring etc. Tried many different things but it was the carb that was giving problems. Sent it back to Kevin and he looked it over last winter, sent it back this spring and it has been good since then. He took care of the problem without an issue, so I'm happy with his service.

This spring took it to a chassis dyno and dynoed 788hp and all was well (or so I thought). Before making it to the track the turbo broke. PTE thought it was overspeeding the shaft so decided to step up on the turbo to a 106mm. That meant more effort to spool the turbo than before. Thats when the engine just didn't seem to be running right. The flat tappet cam was coming apart and taking the short block out as it went. The old PT90 just made boost so quick and easy it must have covered up how poorly the engine was running. :swear: The crank/block/rods and pistons are trashed. So a rebuild is in progress to see what this 106 will do.

Didn't make it to Maxton this year like I had hoped. Good news is the ECTA will be racing the mile about 2 hours from my place next year. Plan to make it to those events as long as the rebuild goes well.

The car drives nice, and the interior is carpeted now, so it is a decent cruiser. Still have details to finish and get a good engine back in it for next spring.
    [​IMG]#ad

20. j.Mack

Im just seeing this...badass machine!

updates?