1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Foxbody Mini tub question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by move, Oct 29, 2008.

1. move

I can't seem to find the answer.

I am interested in running the 315/60r15 Et street radial in my Fox body with a 15x10 rim. Can anyone tell me if this will fit using a standard Mini tub kit? Without getting into the frame? Will I have to trim the body panels?

2. jeremy mifflin

yes you will have to trim the body

and why would you want to do a mini tub and not notch the frame,,,,

3. move

I don't know, I'm kinda new to the Foxbodies? Less work the better?? :D

Can you run the 315 using the stock style suspension?

Ps.I tried getting intouch with team z again but their phone kept going to the computer. When in the world can you get intouch with them?? Nevermind I finally got him!! :D

4. cornfedmod

will need to do some triming. if your going to mini tub you mite as well notch the rail. I am alomost done with mine, shouldnt take long if you have the right tools. check it out on daves site. Teamzmotorsports.com

5. move

I finally got intouch with Dave! He told me I would need to notch the frame and run the offset lower control arms. I think his exact words where "you will have to stretch the wheel wells out some."

6. 86lxnotch

315/60's with stuff that dave mentioned. no trimming of the wheel lips. 15x10 with 6.5BS rear is narrowed 2.5'' per side

[​IMG]#ad

7. turbofalcon65

How fast are you going to ran? There are guys on here running real fast on a small MT tire. :cheers:

8. move

That looks awsome 86lxnotch and thank you for the numbers!! Do you think you could have used a 3.5" back space, 15x10?

Turbofalcon, I don't know. I guess how ever fast my budget will allow.
    I have talked to alot of people and they all told me that they wish they went ahead and did a mini-tub before they built their cage. As for the tire size,, why not? If that tire will fit then anything smaller should fit too!

9. cornfedmod

you mite want to look into setting it up for coilovers. better traction. in that case you wouldnt run rear springs, just upper and lower control arms and then your coilovers. well worth the investment!

10. move

I was eyeing that kit from Team Z.

11. cornfedmod

very nice kit. I belive Dave is a srtange dealer as well. little bit of fabrication involved.

12. move

My whole project seems to be nothing but fabrication! Main reason I bought a Mustang was listening to everyone talk about how they make all these parts that just magically bolt on! I didn't think about the parts that I want to use and my physical size. Everything is going to have to be custom anyhow!

Here is a link to my build. I have mainly been working on the engine and placement with a mock-up engine. The good engine is basically ready for assembly. So, I decided to pull off the engine compartment and start working on the chassis. "A running engine is no good without a chassis to go in." Please keep in mind that I'm only really able to get out and work on the car every other weekend. I'm a little embarrassed by the amount of time it's taking.

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108029.25

13. cornfedmod

didnt now you bere dropping a bbf in your fox. I'm doing the same. do you know the weight of your car?

14. 86lxnotch

5.5bs yes, 4.5 or smaller no

15. onefst86gt

I had 4" b.s. on a 15x10 wheel on my last car, and the same on my remaining car right now. A 4" can be used and I believe that if you move the lower brackets in a tad bit or mill your weld on axle flange that you can get a 3.5 to work.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. move

Sorry, I sure don't. It was a 89, LX, 4 cylinder, manual windows, locks, no AC and no radio from the factory. The guy I bought it from said that it was the lightest one of the lightest factory Mustangs you could get. I have been trying to plan the car out thes best I can with the budget I have.

17. move

Thanks, I had found a killer deal on a set of Mickey Thompson 15x10 w/ 3.5BS and one guy told me that tires not even this big are a pain in the a$$ to get on and off!

18. 86lxnotch

325's and 315's are easy to mount on a 10'' rim or do you mean putting the wheel on/off the car? if so extensions work wonders lol

19. move

The way I understood the guy telling me, it's the actual mounting the wheel on the axle? Not a lot of room between the brake rotor and fender to slide that big of tire through?

I thank all of you for your help with this, I'm trying to make the best decesion. IE; Wait, save and do the mini tub like discussed, or just not do the mini tub and run what ever fits?
    My roll cage has to be custom fit. Thats either going to be me modding a mail order kit or taking the car to a pro. Which if I go the pro route I might just want to let them do the mini-tub also.... It's only time & money!!!!! right???

20. 86lxnotch

well to use a rim with that little of bs the rear would have to be shortened alot and to do much more than 2.5'' like i did you will have to cut and move the lower control arm mounts in farther.