1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

weight reduction on fox body

Discussion in 'FAQ's, Turbo Info, and the archives' started by kove, Jul 25, 2004.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kove

im trying to find a good article on shaving weight for a fox body mustang ...and i cant find any thing specific.. im looking for actual weight numbers i want to know if i take my heater how much am i loosing..heere is what ive found so far it doesnt have to be exact just pretty close ... if any one knows weight savings numbers on any thing please list them

fiberglass hood -----------------------------20 pounds
    aluminum heads----------------------------45 pounds
    d&d k member kit with coil overs---------75 pounds
    taking out all of the sound deadner-------30 pounds
    racing seats---------------------------------60 pounds
    ac and all of its components---------------35 pounds
    smog pump----------------------------------?? pounds
    manual rack---------------------------------30 pounds
    heater box-----------------------------------?? pounds
    disk brake shields---------------------------04 pounds
    aluminum fly wheel--------------------------?? pounds
    aluminum drive shaft------------------------?? pounds
    strange front race brakes-------------------?? pounds
    rear seat delete in a coupe-----------------?? pounds
    mini starter----------------------------------10 pounds
    electric fan-----------------------------------15 pounds--more or less dep on the fan
    arm rest delete------------------------------10 pounds

i ill be happy with getting my coupe down to 2700 pounds with me in it (160) with most of interior i want to still have carpet door panals roof liner and dash..im willing to delete rear seats and the arm restbut thats it...ide like the car to weight 2500 pounds but i dont know if thats possible with still keeping my interior

2. WILDRIDE

heater assembly heater core + hoses ,fan box and all vents =24lbs....to get your car down to 2700 w/u in it its gonna need to be all chromoly tubing,cage ,subframes etc.

also you can lose a solid 60+lbs on a four corner brake system,aerospace,baer,strange,and wilwood all have seen kits that will do atleast 60 if all four corners are replaced...ive seen as much as 36 per corner.

also,a set of aluminum racing rims avg.weight loss on rims are 13 per corner ,there are some out there that you can lose even more .

you can also remove the impact bars out of the doors 11 lbs each side ,all factory seat belts 16lbs

speakers in doors,dash,and rear deck depending on model of stang....4-7lbs

the rear seat delete is good for 10lbs unless your required to put a bulk head then you come out about 3.5 lbs ahead

rear decklid coupe (lift off)saves 9lbs avg.hatch w/lexan rear window 31 lbs

front bumper ,and supports14lbs rear bumper,and supports 42 lbslbs

manual brake conversion 5lbs est....hopefully thatll give you some ideas of what it will take to get where you wanna be .2700lbs is not out of reach but its a stretch.w/you in the car w/a 12 point chromoly cage you can get it there .Anything more than 12 ponts and its really gonna take some inginuity,or lots of money on carbonfiber components.Some of these things are a lil harsh but there are quite a few things i didnt list cuz it would take it completely away from"street car" to Race car

Hope this is of some help.

Mike

Deuce Griffin likes this.
  3. stompnstang

Hello World/board!

Good morning, joining, glad to be here! I'm glad to be here ultimately, heading to submit considering that I've been studying a prolonged time.

Sooo anyways, adequate info about me, see you close to and hello once again haha.

BTW where is the option to change the little picture thingy like some people have, I like it but can't figure it out haha I always am by my phone but not by my computer, even a trainer requires so much to keep up to date!

4. aggiez28

thats a heavy arm rest :eek:

luckythirteen13 likes this.
  5. Supe

6. Grey93TT

Fog light support bar with fog lights attached weighed just over 16 lbs on my 93 GT.

:D

7. Mike Gager

my heater box weighed 18lbs not including the heater core. id guess about 25-28lbs all total

8. Bobby

disk brake shields---------------------------04 pounds

Yeah those disc brake shields will save about 1 lb. They are made of thin gauge steel. Some Alum calipers would do alot better though, such as the ones off the 99+ cars.

9. Eric88T

Some of those weights are pretty exaggerated. Not really archive worthy.

10. lilcobrar

nothing like a lightweight coupe.

11. Bobby

Just curious how to take out the impact bars on the doors? do you just reach in there and cut them off with a dremel cutoff wheel or what?

12. D347643

by arm rest i think he means center consol. And yeah that fucker has some weight to it...

13. on3 racing

actually it is just the arm rest. you will be suprised when you take it off. i had to look in mine, thinking there was 20 or 30 dollors in quarters or something. my guess it is so they dont brake when people lean on them.....

14. TuxMask-Andy

Yes agreed. I've gutted and weighted everything i took off from my 99 stang car and those numbers he started are very exxagerated.

30 pounds for sound deadner? Try 10 pounds.

15. BlackStripes

By any chance, can you post those numbers? ;)

16. gtconv91

not to be messed up but your a little optimistic with your weight guesses.... i have a vert a tried on it.. have helped friends with there notch and hatch.. and the best that i have seen with a notch with driver is 2850 and he was around 165 not saying its possible to get that.. but the only thing he had in the cab was a 1 driver seat and half of a dash... he had a 306 n/a,t5,8.8 it was a tin can on wheels...

17. D347643

my 85 coupe weighs 2830 without me in it. This is with stock k member, metal hood, steel driveshaft and heavy 17x9's all around. the interior is complete also....

18. Drlee50

I would love to get a notch and seriously gut it and remove everything except for: a gutted dash, gutted steering column, thin carpet, 2 light weight seats, and a 10 point moly cage to pass tech. , moly kmember and arms, minimal rear firewall to pass tech and then lay out the fuel and cooling system to put the most wt in the rear and offset the motor back as far as possible but retain the factory fire wall for tech. put in the largest CI small block i could make and a big turbo and and air to water under the dash. fiber glass deck lid, fiberglass hood, and lightened electric windowed doors. light breaks wheels and tires etc. I would expect that setup would be in the 2500lb weight range and about the best you could do. no interior plastic, no headliner, no door panels, no radio, heater or glovebox etc etc. a bare bones no frills car made for the track only. black out the windows and have a very stealth street racer ( if you put some mufflers on it). make the outside look stock as possible. bolt on wheelie bars of course, you are gonna need em.
    sounds like i have my next project!

19. D347643

that sounds awesome :chacha:

20. rickyhaiber

Yeah I have always wondered what I could do to save weight other than tubular front suspension and remove the a/c for my '94 cobra.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
bridal-shoal