1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Finally starting (the efi part) it runs!

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by furious70, Nov 29, 2008.

1. furious70

Have had the FAST computer for probably 5yrs, been collecting parts and himhawing ever since. We've got a baby on the way so $ towards finishing the turbo part is pretty much non existant, but I have all the parts for the EFI, so finally taking the car apart to do it.

And man it's been a pain finding the right fittings to tap into the stock 5/16" line (would have been the same trouble with 3/8 hardline for the most part, would have only saved me maybe 2-3 fittings). The Earl's 6AN to 5/16" inverted flare fitting that the guy at summit finally found was key to making this work. I'm trying out the pushlock style hose for the rail connection and the feed line to the rails.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. furious70

Re: Finally starting (the efi part)

One thing I'm not sure how to do yet is how to convert from a pull to a push throttle cable. Are there any mopar cables so long that I can loop it around the front? I'm doubting since the TB is already sitting ~3" further forward that a carb.

3. CW25

4. furious70

that one would still get looped around, right?

5. turbocuda

I would have thought with the iac motor facing up as you have it the cable would work....mine does.....

6. CW25

They can be cut to any length. Just measure quick and make sure you have more than enouph I think that they come in lengths up to 6 feet.

7. furious70

turbocuda, how did you make yours work? The way the TB is now the throttle has to be pushed open, not pulled like stock. I don't see how to make the stock cable bend around to 'pull'

8. Anthony Fury

Can you take the blade off, rotate the shaft 180, and put the blade back in? (Would that help?) Or mount the TB "upside down" and run the cable to the other side (see below)?

The truck throttle cable I got is way too long for my setup (I think the stocker would actually work for me now...it was on the edge of not working with my old setup, hence the purchase). Although I have a few beefs with some of this guy's designs, this article helped me:

http://arengineering.com/articles/tcable.html

I can't remember where or how I got the cable though. I think it was a Dodge dealership somewhere that advertised in MM or something.

Regardless - if you made a plate and ferrule (adjuster) on a plate that bolted someplace on the intake that the cable housing could reach, you could then cut out the original cable out and run an ATV/4-wheeler brake cable (there's a ball end on one side, which works nicely with our pedal levers) through the housing, and then run the cable out as long as you needed. This is mostly how my junk is setup and it works pretty good. Also, Shaun took us all to a hardware store this weekend that ends all hardware stores. It used to be an Ace, but then got taken over by Miller. It's in Elk Grove and it is AWESOME. You would not believe the fastener aisle. Anyway, besides that, we found a box labeled "throttle accessories" and it's got a bunch of little nick-nacks/cable crimps and ferrules and the like.

9. furious70

hmmm...interesting thought AF, I'm not sure how that comes apart. I know on TPI/LT1 TB's they are rivoted/smacked on such that you can't take them apart easily. But if I could get the arm on top that would do it.

DUH, I guess I could just weld an arm up top as well....shoulda thought of that one.

10. Anthony Fury

That is a stocker 5.0 TB right? I don't really remember how those come apart (pics?) - anyway I think you can get yourself out of the woods without severely modding that TB, and then re-routing your cable housing in conjunction with a longer cable.

Do you have a MVB in that trans? I don't remember. If you don't I can show you how to run a $3 BMX brake cable for a kickdown. (eff that stupid Lokar BS!!!)

11. furious70

I already have the lokar cable unfortunately, bought it when I had the transmission put in. It may not be long enough though if I end up doing something funky with wrapping a cable around the front. I don't happen to have a clear pic of the TB and throttle arm, I'll have to look tonight. It should be easy just to weld a small arm on the top side to stick a stud through though.

12. furious70

Also of note, the fancy earl's fitting to go from AN to INVERTED flare could be substituted with a AN to pipe and pipe to flare setup. Probably cost the same and be the same # of fittings, since with this I have to use a female union to a male pipe nut instead of just a female pipe nut (AN to FLARE is what I really needed to do it in 1 fitting, but could not find that)

13. tilt

I agree with the DYI bmx cable, only because that's what i'm doing.

14. furious70

This weekend's lesson, even with a pipe bender, you can't accidentally bend 90* the wrong way and straighten the pipe out and get a 90* bend the other way, pipe kinks when you work it that hard :)

Got the original feed line cut apart, flared for hose barb, pump hooked to that, hardline made for pump to filter. Removed the orig. evap. return line that snakes from the engine compartment between the firewall and inner/outer fenders to copy for a feed line. (orig. feed line feeds through the subframe and out further forward than I want, so just routing along the return line. So I've wasted one 40" pipe practicing my 3D visualization skills, not too expensive for the lesson...
    Once I get that piece made all I have to do is make another short straight piece to connect that kinky line to the filter. I don't think I can snake a single line down and through for all that, but I may try. The original return line has rubber hose for the joint from inner fender to down along the floor. I'm doing all hardline for the feed, but I may need a union there after the bend in order to get the pipe into place.
    After that it'll be time to take the intake off and set the new one in place (on a 4x4 first). I'll make the push lock connections and tighten the fittings and then run a temp power/ground to the pump and give a psi check for my fitting and to verify I don't have any stuck/dripping injectors.

15. furious70

Finally got to a pressure test on wed. After tightening a few connections I left finger tight (doh), much to my surprise the system held pressure, and the factory vapor return line worked as the return. Sounds like the pump really moves the fuel, could hear the fuel iin the tank.

I knew it was going to be tight, but the piping into the TB will have to go 90* to avoid the a/c. Eventually I'd like to go with a sanden compressor, which will give more room.
    [​IMG]#ad

For those that are curious, here's the guts of a lean burn dizzy, not much to it:

[​IMG]#ad

16. dodge turbo

Well....wheres the rest of the car?????....i like you are leaving the a/c on there, it should make for a good cruiser too with that on there

now what turbo set-up is goin on this???

17. furious70

Here's the car:
    [​IMG]#ad

the a/c and the overdrive are 2 very nice features for daily usage, yes.

The prevailing thought has been that my 2 T3 60/.63's are going to go on the 383 and we'll see how it does. I found a guy on moparts who seems to be 'mass producing' log manifolds- the biggest thing holding me back from doing the turbos still.

While a little tight, I think they will fit alongside the motor if I use external WG's (something that has been suggested to help get a little more life out of the small turbos in the first place)
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. dodge turbo

Looks bad ass with the welds...something you dont see everyday or even at a mopar meet....i like it

...and you got plenty of room in there......get started it will be spring before you know it :welder:

19. rdakota340

are you going to up grade the a/c with the small d6 compressor it gives you more room,love the weld wheels on the car looks great .

20. mpi_duster

I'm very curious to see how those .60/.63's perform on the 383. And I love how the pick up looks small next to your car... :doh: